BackTrack Reborn – Kali Linux

This topic contains 26 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  eth3real 6 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
     m0wgli 
    Participant

From Offensive Security:

It’s been 7 years since we released our first version of BackTrack Linux, and the ride so far has been exhilarating. When the dev team started talking about BackTrack 6 (almost a year ago), each of us put on paper a few “wish list goals” that we each wanted implemented in our “next version”.

It soon became evident to us that with our 4 year old development architecture, we would not be able to achieve all of these new goals without a massive restructure so that’s exactly what we did and “Kali” was born. We’ve also posted a Kali Linux teaser on the BackTrack Linux site – and that’s all we’ll say for now…

How does this affect the Offensive Security courses? Surprisingly enough, with all the new changes we have made in Kali, the user experience remains pretty much the same. Our students should feel little difference between Kali and BackTrack. As usual, with our course upgrades, all alumni will be able to upgrade their course materials for a reduced fee. Students who have enrolled in PWB since the 1st of Jan, 2013 will get an additional discount on the upgrade fee –  once a new version of PWB is available, in the next 6 months. Our lab environment will not be changing due to the new BackTrack version. Be patient, we will release more information about Kali once it’s ready…soon.

http://www.offensive-security.com/offsec/backtrack-reborn-kali-linux/

hayabusa 
    Participant

As always, looking forward to seeing what they’ve done with it.

rattis 
    Participant

hmm.. can’t wait to check it out and compair to old version, and also to pentoo.

dynamik 
    Participant

Man, BT and PWB are hogging all the resources. This is why we can’t have nice things. I’d rather have AWAE online than stock footage of stuff being smashed.

Dark_Knight 
    Participant

@ajohnson wrote:

Man, BT and PWB are hogging all the resources. This is why we can’t have nice things. I’d rather have AWAE online than stock footage of stuff being smashed.

+1

caissyd 
    Participant

I wonder if Kali will be an evolution or a revolution…

Still, I am always excited to use new distros.

hayabusa 
    Participant

@ajohnson wrote:

^ +2

termight 
    Participant

I’m gonna buy and dedicate a new laptop for KALI.

Darktaurus 
    Participant

@ajohnson wrote:

+3

jrdoty 
    Participant

@ajohnson wrote:

+4

Maybe if we make this post long enough Offensive Security will take notice. 

Questionable 
    Participant

@ajohnson wrote:

+5

caissyd 
    Participant

Although I agree with all of you, we were able to have a quality PWB course and a very good linux distro because they have spent some time in the past building and fixing them.

They probably make 90% of their proifit with the PWB course, so we can’t blame them to update it every 3 years or so…

So yes, me too I can’t wait to get AWAE, but we have to understand their position too…

jrdoty 
    Participant

Agreed, but a guy can dream. 

dynamik 
    Participant

@H1t M0nk3y wrote:

Although I agree with all of you, we were able to have a quality PWB course and a very good linux distro because they have spent some time in the past building and fixing them.

They probably make 90% of their proifit with the PWB course, so we can’t blame them to update it every 3 years or so…

So yes, me too I can’t wait to get AWAE, but we have to understand their position too…

C-c-c-combo breaker!

I think we all realize that PWB’s their bread and butter, but they should seriously try harder at making AWAE available 😉

caissyd 
    Participant

C-c-c-combo breaker!

First time I hear about this. I won’t do this again, promise!

I think we all realize that PWB’s their bread and butter, but they should seriously try harder at making AWAE available

Yes, I totally agree if you see it this way! They pissed me off big time with their Try Harder thing, so you know what?
    +6

m0wgli 
    Participant

@H1t M0nk3y wrote:

C-c-c-combo breaker!

I wouldn’t take that too seriously, speak your mind!

Has anyone heard anything about AWAE being made available online recently?

There was a post here last year:Offensive Security’s OSWE, but I haven’t seen anything since, here or elsewhere.

dynamik 
    Participant

@m0wgli wrote:

@H1t M0nk3y wrote:

C-c-c-combo breaker!

I wouldn’t take that too seriously, speak your mind!

I just thought it was funny, and I’m pretty sure he wasn’t being serious either. We’ve met in person before, and I don’t think he’s in any way intimidated by me or afraid to speak his mind 😉

Like I said in that other thread, it was just a rumor I heard, so I wouldn’t treat that as credible information. I just find it odd they’ve only offered the live course once last summer and haven’t offered or announced anything else. Hopefully they have some more surprises up their sleeves.

caissyd 
    Participant

I just thought it was funny, and I’m pretty sure he wasn’t being serious either. We’ve met in person before, and I don’t think he’s in any way intimidated by me or afraid to speak his mind 😉

As always, ajohnson is right!  ;D

caissyd 
    Participant

I just ask the Offensive Security team about their AWAE and AWE courses and here is their response:

Our AWAE course is currently only available in a live training format. We will announce new information regarding our AWAE online courses on our website and blog once available.

Updates regarding the course will be posted at: https://www.offensive-security.com/information-security-training/advanced-web-attack-and-exploitation/
    You can follow our blog at: http://www.offensive-security.com/blog/

As for Advanced Windows Exploitation (AWE), there are no immediate plans to offer it online.

So, AWAE will eventually be available online. We will probably have to wait a long time for AWE…

la.qu 
    Participant

Does anybody know if wlan and eth will be working for lenovo y500 series?? :S

hayabusa 
    Participant

Thinking that would likely be best / easiest answered, if asked to the Offensive Security folks…

That said, however, we might be able to give you a better idea, if you tell is what the nic’s are (wired and wireless) in that device (rather than us having to do that, just to give you an answer.)

What will likely help us answer, as well, is if you boot to the Live BackTrack distro, currently, and give us output from “lspci” at the command prompt.

m0wgli 
    Participant

@H1t M0nk3y wrote:

As always, ajohnson is right!  ;D

True. I’d intended for that comment to be taken in jest. Sorry, if it was interpreted differently.

@H1t M0nk3y Thanks for taking the time to find out.

lorddicranius 
    Participant

@ajohnson wrote:

C-c-c-combo breaker!

Man, now I wanna play Killer Instict…

UNIX 
    Participant

It’s now available: http://www.kali.org/

hayabusa 
    Participant

grabbed copies as soon as they posted them  😉

x86, 64 and raspberry pi (have been wanting to toy with pi’s for dropboxes, anyway, so…

lorddicranius 
    Participant

@hayabusa wrote:

grabbed copies as soon as they posted them  😉

x86, 64 and raspberry pi (have been wanting to toy with pi’s for dropboxes, anyway, so…

A Raspberry Pi version? Nice!

eth3real 
    Participant

Anyone tried it out, yet? I had to disable IO APIC to get the 64-bit ISO to boot in VirtualBox, and then tell the installer to not use “internet sources” to finish install. I won’t have any real time to play around with it until this weekend, but looks good so far.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2019 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?