BackTrack 5

This topic contains 83 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  AndyB67 8 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
     cd1zz 
    Participant
     timmedin 
    Participant

Those guys have been cranking out releases recently.

caissyd 
    Participant

we expect a release in a couple of months at least

I can’t wait to get my hands on it!

j0rDy 
    Participant

first i was like  ;D

then i was like  >:( (only screenshots)

mallaigh 
    Participant

When I saw the screenshots and realized I don’t have to go turnoff the transparent menus I was like  😀

UNIX 
    Participant

Seems the official release date is May 10, 2011, according to their newsletter.

caissyd 
    Participant

As BackTrack 5 development rolls on full steam ahead, we’ve been getting numerous questions about the future release. We thought we’de publish a blog post with general information about BT5 for the impatient. The codename of this release will be “revolution”, for a bunch of reasons.

BackTrack 5 will be based on Ubuntu Lucid (10.04 LTS), and will (finally) support both 32 bit and 64 bit architectures. We will be officially supporting KDE 4, Gnome and Fluxbox while providing users streamlined ISO downloads of each Desktop Environment (DE). Tool integration from our repositories will be seamless with all our supported DE’s, including the specific DE menu structure.

Perhaps most importantly BackTrack 5 “revolution” will be our first release to include full source code in it’s repositories. This is a big thing for us, as it officially joins us to the open-source community and clears up any licensing issues which were present in BackTrack 4. The absence of source code availability in BT4 was mainly due to lack of resources when we initially structured the BT4 development environment. Armed with our support from Offensive Security, we have built a *proper* development environment, which allows us to do awesome things.

Our tool list has completely been revamped and refreshed. Each tool’s functionality was assessed and decided upon before inclusion to BT5. Obviously, we are constantly staying up to date with interesting new tools and are adding them to our repositories when appropriate. In addition, our menu structure has been much optimised – streamlined with both the PTES and OSSTMM standards. This will make finding and using the right tools much easier.

We are finally able to upadte our roadmap and pin down a date for the release – The date for the official release is May 10, 2011.

Stay tuned for more.

Yes, it really seems to be a revolution!!!  ;D

R3B005t 
    Participant

I do love me some BT, ive been running it in a vm on my macbook pro for awhile I’m finally toying around with the idea of dual booting it just to get cuda support but I might hold off till 5 comes out.

jason 
    Participant

Awesome, BT with Gnome  ;D Having to sully myself with KDE has been my chief complaint about using it.

tturner 
    Participant

You mean you don’t want to install Gnome and then rebuild your menu structure for 200some odd tools?  ;D

Anonymous 
    Participant

nice to see BT with Gnome at last. ..but I’ll have to wait till BT6 I guess for xfce  :-…. or am I being too optimistic?

;D ;D

AndyB67 
    Participant

Don’t know what all the fuss is about re the different desktops?  They are all so much better than the crap you get on windows!

Just looking forward to the new release.  Got my external drive ready to backup my data ready for a clean install on my PC and laptop

hayabusa 
    Participant

Besides…  Dunno about ya’ll, but 90% of the tools I use on BT are ‘command-line’ anyway!  Desktops are nice sometimes, I guess… ;-p

Data_Raid 
    Participant

@hayabusa wrote:

Besides…  Dunno about ya’ll, but 90% of the tools I use on BT are ‘command-line’ anyway!  Desktops are nice sometimes, I guess… ;-p

Ratpoison! http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/  😀

jason 
    Participant

True enough, but there are a few gui tools in there, such as OpenVAS, and its always nice to be able to run a bazilion terminals in a decent desktop environment. KDE is just icky  :-X

hayabusa 
    Participant

Edit:  had to add, always funny seeing an ethical hacker use the term, “icky”  😛

jason 
    Participant

Not only icky, but covered in cooties as well  8)

EJeanmaire 
    Participant

Count me in as another person in favor of ditching kde.  I always seem to be in the minority in this but I hate the way it feels vs gnome.

caissyd 
    Participant

+1 for gnome…

rattis 
    Participant

Up to KDE4, KDE was my preferred GUI. However I’ve been Gnoming it out lately. I could really care less as long as I can get to a menu for the commands I’m not sure about.
    🙂

R3B005t 
    Participant

@jason wrote:

Not only icky, but covered in cooties as well  8)

Well then I must say CIRCLE CIRCLE DOT DOT now I’ve got my cooties shot!

cd1zz 
    Participant

The anticipation is agonizing, here are some new ones:

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/screenshots/

maxpeck 
    Participant

Getting the old ‘Birthday comin up’ feeling  ;D

max

caissyd 
    Participant

And the worse part will be that everyone will try to download it at the same time. It will be slow… 😛

rattis 
    Participant

@H1t M0nk3y wrote:

And the worse part will be that everyone will try to download it at the same time. It will be slow… 😛

That is what torrents are for. 🙂

j0rDy 
    Participant

everytime this topic gets kicked i think: wait..did i miss it? i can’t be! ???

zeroflaw 
    Participant

Sweet! I wonder if there are any new cool tools  8)

Anonymous 
    Participant

Its looking good. Do most people use BT within a VM of some sort ?

lorddicranius 
    Participant

I use VirtualBox for my BT “install.”  But then again, I don’t use it for my daytime job at the moment – only on my test lab at home 🙂

Looking forward for what BT5 has to offer!

rattis 
    Participant

@Jamie.R wrote:

Its looking good. Do most people use BT within a VM of some sort ?

Have mine on VirtualBox on my home laptop. I have a couple victim vms too. I do have a copy of it set for triple boot on my netbook but hardly use it.

AndyB67 
    Participant

I’m greedy and I have BT4 as a dual boot (with ubuntu) on the laptop and the main OS on my ‘other’ PC (lower spec non gaming one).  ‘Other’ PC still has enough guts to allow me to run two VM’s at a time as targets.

j0rDy 
    Participant

i still have it as a VM on my system, but i have great expectations for BT5, if it is more OS worthy (proper video driver/resolution support, flawless packets/application integration from the repositories etc.) it will become my main operating system. The new ubuntu (especially unity) is working on my nerves 😮

cd1zz 
    Participant

I cant stand Unity either!

Darktaurus 
    Participant

Anyone picking up any new hardware for the new Backtrack??  I am shooting for a SSD on the ol laptop.

rattis 
    Participant

@KillJoy

I’ve been thinking of building a new virtual lab, this might help light the fire. Maybe an SSD card for my netbook. But nothing just because of it, or for it to live on by itself.

AndyB67 
    Participant

@cd1zz wrote:

I cant stand Unity either!

Have disabled it.  Better not have it in BT5

R3B005t 
    Participant

Just got word it’s due for release in five days wooot

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/backtrack/backtrack-5-release-in-5-days/

j0rDy 
    Participant

@r3b005t wrote:

Just got word it’s due for release in five days wooot

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/backtrack/backtrack-5-release-in-5-days/

On the right side of the blog page http://www.backtrack-linux.org/blog/ they have a counter, for all those who want a more specific ETA giving time zones and such.

j0rDy 
    Participant

and again, offensive security gave us a little something something to ease the waiting: http://vimeo.com/offsec/backtrack5-penetration-testing-distribution

caissyd 
    Participant

Interesting, posted by Muts the day before the release on @backtracklinux:

Someone doesn’t want a BackTrack 5 release tomorrow. DOS on our backtrack-linux.org web server. Whoever it is, please stop.

And then:

DOS Mitigation by polite request. Looks like it worked. See you all tomorrow!

I am sure this isn’t a DoS, it’s just me and a bunch of guys hitting “refresh” to be the first getting the new release!  ;D

j0rDy 
    Participant

@H1t M0nk3y wrote:

Interesting, posted by Muts the day before the release on @backtracklinux:

Someone doesn’t want a BackTrack 5 release tomorrow. DOS on our backtrack-linux.org web server. Whoever it is, please stop.

And then:

DOS Mitigation by polite request. Looks like it worked. See you all tomorrow!

I am sure this isn’t a DoS, it’s just me and a bunch of guys hitting “refresh” to be the first getting the new release!  ;D

please stop that so i can be first  ;D I also noticed the counter is way off…

caissyd 
    Participant

I need to start installing it on my laptop tonight for my course starting Sunday in Dallas: http://www.takedowncon.com/?page_id=378

I can’t wait!!!  😛

cd1zz 
    Participant

Already 6.1% done …. torrent is moving nicely!

Don Donzal 
    Keymaster

Getting mine as well. I went with the basic gnome_vm_32 for my makeshift lab-on-a-laptop to get a looksee. What is everyone else grabbing?

Don

hell_razor 
    Participant

Grabbing everything but ARM :).  I will seed for quite a while, though.  Anyone with a beef against torrenting has obviously never tried to get a day-of-release distro!!!

cd1zz 
    Participant

Same exact for me. Interesting they didn’t offer the KDE as a VM…

caissyd 
    Participant

BT5-GNOME-64 ISO for me!

j0rDy 
    Participant

for me BT5-GNOME-64 ISO. Also grabbing the 32bit version to check if there is any difference.

rattis 
    Participant

Figures, it would release after I left for work. Can’t get it at work. But that just means there should be more seeds for me later tonight. 🙂

looking forward to it, I might need to use it in the morning to [s:1je7sbm7]break[/s:1je7sbm7] log into my company laptop, to do my work.

*Edit:
    yes I’m kidding about breaking into the laptop.

Darktaurus 
    Participant

@chrisj wrote:

Figures, it would release after I left for work. Can’t get it at work. But that just means there should be more seeds for me later tonight. 🙂

looking forward to it, I might need to use it in the morning to [s:gymx13df]break[/s:gymx13df] log into my company laptop, to do my work.

*Edit:
    yes I’m kidding about breaking into the laptop.

Same here, I am at work now dying to go home to download Gnome-64 iso.  I even stayed up till midnight just to check if they would release it at 12:01.  Oh well, I would have been up anyway.  Have fun guys with the new Backtrack.  I am sure the forum will be buzzing for a couple of days.  ;D

caissyd 
    Participant

Ok, I have installed Backtrack 5 Gnome 64 bit yesterday along with VMWare Workstation, Nessus and some other little tools. So far, I have nothing to complain about. It will become my main OS.

But I miss the little drop-down that used to be in the lower panel in Backtrack 4. I used it a lot for quickly typing commands such as “shutdown -h 0”, “reboot”, etc. Do you guys know how to put it back? I don’t even know how it’s called…  :-[

jason 
    Participant

Installing Gnome 64-bit as we speak. I also pulled down the KDE version, just so I could put it on something to see the differences. Looks great so far from looking at it booted off the live cd.

Anonymous 
    Participant

Gnome or KDE that is the question ? How comes you can only get a Gnome version for vmware ?

Data_Raid 
    Participant

@H1t M0nk3y wrote:

Ok, I have installed Backtrack 5 Gnome 64 bit yesterday along with VMWare Workstation, Nessus and some other little tools. So far, I have nothing to complain about. It will become my main OS.

But I miss the little drop-down that used to be in the lower panel in Backtrack 4. I used it a lot for quickly typing commands such as “shutdown -h 0”, “reboot”, etc. Do you guys know how to put it back? I don’t even know how it’s called…  :-[

That’s the “Run Command” applet in KDE. For KDE, If you right click on the panel and then select “add applet to panel” and then search by scrolling down to the “run command” applet, then select “add to panel”.
    For Gnome it’s almost the same, right click on the panel and then select “add to panel” and then select “run application”, it’s not exactly the same as KDE (with a text box) but provides the same finctionality.

rattis 
    Participant

@H1t M0nk3y wrote:

I like alt-f2 for those needs in gnome

caissyd 
    Participant

Thanks Data_Raid and chrisj, I will give it a try tonight.

treasur3 
    Participant

Downloading the torrent now 🙂

caissyd 
    Participant

From @backtracklinux on Twitter: 29637 downloads in 24 hours!

f4csimil3 
    Participant

Finally its out i downloaded it yesterday as soon as it was made available!! 🙂
    now im happy!
    its really nice get it ASAP! ;D

tturner 
    Participant

Slow or not, I wish there was a direct download link since we block torrents at work. Guess I’ll have to hoof it in from home.

lorddicranius 
    Participant

A direct download is supposed to be available after a couple weeks or something like that…if you can hold out 😛

tturner 
    Participant

Nope  ;D

jason 
    Participant

Anyone else tried to get gdm to start automatically under the gnome version? It seems to be disabled somewhere that’s less than obvious (to me anyway)  :-[

lorddicranius 
    Participant

I’ve tried as well, but with no luck so far.  Created /etc/init/gdm.conf on BT5, copying its contents from a fresh Ubuntu 10.04 install – didn’t work.  I then tried editting /etc/default/grub to match what’s on the Ubuntu 10.04 install and now BT won’t boot up anymore, it just hangs at the splash screen haha.

caissyd 
    Participant

Another thing, did someone installed both Firefox 4 and Firefox 3.6?

The default Firefox 4 doesn’t support some interesting plugins yet…

I found this link for Windows: http://superuser.com/questions/160986/install-firefox-4-beta-alongside-firefox-3-6

This for Macs: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-run-firefox-4-and-3-simultaneously-in-mac-os-x-with-multiple-firefox-profiles-2011-3

It is probably feasible, based on this post: http://www.johannes-eva.net/how-to-install-firefox-on-ubuntu-linux

I just want to know if someone was able to do it in Backtrack 5.

Thanks

Darktaurus 
    Participant

@H1t M0nk3y wrote:

Another thing, did someone installed both Firefox 4 and Firefox 3.6?

The default Firefox 4 doesn’t support some interesting plugins yet…

I found this link for Windows: http://superuser.com/questions/160986/install-firefox-4-beta-alongside-firefox-3-6

This for Macs: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-run-firefox-4-and-3-simultaneously-in-mac-os-x-with-multiple-firefox-profiles-2011-3

It is probably feasible, based on this post: http://www.johannes-eva.net/how-to-install-firefox-on-ubuntu-linux

I just want to know if someone was able to do it in Backtrack 5.

Thanks

Not sure if this helps but they have given some ‘HowTos’ on the backtrack site for plugins for Firefox 4.  Maybe you can apply these steps for all plugins. I figure it is worth a shot.  I will be able to try this later tonight.  I can post later if this is successful for more missing plugins. 

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/backtrack-5-how-tos/40353-backtrack-5-how-get-flash-player-working-gnome-kde-x64.html

hayabusa 
    Participant

I personally don’t autologin, but if you want it to autostart the gui AFTER root logs in, just vi (or whatever editor you want to use) your ~/.bash_profile, add startx and save it.  Next time you login as root, it’ll auto-start the gui.

Anonymous 
    Participant

Can anyone help me with screen res problem? I am using KDE in vmware when it first boots I get res 800×600 However when I go full screen it looks crap so I change the res to 1200×900 and it looks perfect but as soon as I reboot it reverts back to 800×600 and I have to go thought the process again.

Data_Raid 
    Participant

@jason wrote:

Anyone else tried to get gdm to start automatically under the gnome version? It seems to be disabled somewhere that’s less than obvious (to me anyway)  :-[

This is what I did on my system (might be worth taking a snapshot before):

apt-get install gdm

and then edit the /etc/rc.local file to start gdm automatically, which looks like this:

/usr/sbin/gdm &
    exit 0
     sil 
    Participant

@Jamie.R wrote:

Can anyone help me with screen res problem? I am using KDE in vmware when it first boots I get res 800×600 However when I go full screen it looks crap so I change the res to 1200×900 and it looks perfect but as soon as I reboot it reverts back to 800×600 and I have to go thought the process again.

Add an entry in your .profile for xrandr…

xrandr -s 1200×900

Anonymous 
    Participant

Cool I thought I could was not sure how to do it tho I will try that 

Anonymous 
    Participant

I have tried that and it does not seem to work any other ideas?

jason 
    Participant

This is what I did on my system (might be worth taking a snapshot before):

Nice. That did the trick.  8)

Darktaurus 
    Participant

I just wanted to note a solution for the system beep in Backtrack 5 (Gnome x64) that I was having.  It is painfully loud.  Anyway, maybe someone else is having the same trouble: 

In the terminal:
    run ‘alsamixer’
    move to PC Beep
    press m to mute
    press escape

Anonymous 
    Participant

Fixed my problem too. How is everyone finding BT5 then ? At first i was a bit frustrating but now I have it all setup i and getting used to it I like it. I have not really noticed a big difference in programs but I do prefer the layout and general GUI improvements.

cd1zz 
    Participant

Has anyone tried SPIKE on BT5 yet? I’m getting errors trying to run ./generic_send_tcp

Just wondering if others are having the same issue.

-C

**Update**

Just found a very old list item that discusses this, the solution is to go to the src directory and do:

. ld.sh

Then you can use the generic’s. I’ve found a couple of problems in BT5 already 🙂

Anonymous 
    Participant

I have no tried Spike yet. One problem I have is when using VM ware if I set it to full screen the menu bar does not re size I have to do it by hand what is a bit of a pain.

lorddicranius 
    Participant

@Jamie.R wrote:

One problem I have is when using VM ware if I set it to full screen the menu bar does not re size I have to do it by hand what is a bit of a pain.

Is that with the KDE or Gnome version?  I had that same problem with the 64bit KDE version.  Click on the yin yang button on the right-side of the bottom panel, click more settings, then click maximize panel.  Again, that’s for the KDE version.  A quick reboot (shutdown -r now) after doing that myself for the first time showed that setting saved through a reboot.

Anonymous 
    Participant

Yah it does not save the setting soon as i change screen size then go back full screen I have to exactly what you said minus the shutdown. I will try it again tonight.

Darktaurus 
    Participant

Anyone that is using Gnome, do you use NoteCase instead of Basket for your notes?  If so, do you think it is just as good, if not better?  I really got use to working with Basket.

mrYoda 
    Participant

@data_raid wrote:

@H1t M0nk3y wrote:

That’s the “Run Command” applet in KDE. For KDE, If you right click on the panel and then select “add applet to panel” and then search by scrolling down to the “run command” applet, then select “add to panel”.
    For Gnome it’s almost the same, right click on the panel and then select “add to panel” and then select “run application”, it’s not exactly the same as KDE (with a text box) but provides the same finctionality.

I don’t get the “add applet to panel” with 32-bit KDE installation. Therea re only widgets to add and there is no run command widget among them. Any ideas?

lorddicranius 
    Participant

@mryoda wrote:

@data_raid wrote:

@H1t M0nk3y wrote:

I don’t get the “add applet to panel” with 32-bit KDE installation. Therea re only widgets to add and there is no run command widget among them. Any ideas?

ALT+F2 will drop a box from the top of the screen that’ll give you the same functionality.

Anonymous 
    Participant

The BT dev team posted on twitter they will be working on bugs and adding more new tools this week.

AndyB67 
    Participant

I’ve got the ISO’s sat here screaming at me to install them and i’ve not had the chance yet as it’s been so manic round here this last few weeks!

Really need to look at getting the installs done this week.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2019 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?