Backtrack 5 R3 (upgrade vs clean install)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      m0wgli
      Participant

Just currently upgrading one of my BackTrack 5 installs to R3 and was wondering whether or not people preferred a clean install as opposed to an upgrade? Would be interested to hear what people prefer and their rationale for either choice.

hell_razor
      Participant

BT upgrades can be tedious at best, nightmarish otherwise.  I have not had any upgrades go particularly well until some time after launch.  Let others set the bugs worked out.  I typically run BT in a VM of some sort, so I typically set up a second drive for data and can then attach it to whichever other distro I need.  I always keep the old versions around, but it seems best to do a clean install in my experience.

shadowzero
      Participant

I prefer a clean install. I use it on a VM, and all my customizations are stored in a repository in my local network, and I can quickly git clone them over to the new install. I have scripts that copy old configurations over and setup everything the way I like it. This allows me to quickly get it up to speed with minimal interaction in a matter of minutes.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?