[Article]-Spooky Warfare Hacking Contest

• This topic has 36 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jason.
Viewing 36 reply threads
  • Author
      Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Looks like our latest contest master is at it again. Jason Andress has taken over control of the hacking contests here on EH-Net. Hopefully they are not disappointing all you EH-Netters out there. I wager that it’s not.

Have fun and hurry as this one has 2 level of prizes!

Permanent link: [Article]-Spooky Warfare Hacking Contest

[align=center:1qbivul5][/align:1qbivul5]

By Jason Andress

It’s scary how the field of cyber warfare is developing. Not only nation-states but also rogue groups with varying agendas find interesting ways to communicate. Even if you catch them, can you decipher the plot against you? Whether they attack governments, companies or even you personally, the stakes are high. To test your skills, I can only say one thing… It’s contest time again!

From those of you that were victi… err participated in the last contest, you’ll find a few familiar items, as well as a number of new puzzles as well. This time around we will be testing your observations skills, coding skills, code-breaking skills, and even more. Rest assured that much gleeful cackling took place whilst this series of puzzles was being developed. Additionally, we will be giving away fabulous prizes. Don, tell them what they might win…

DerbyCon is SOLD OUT, but we have 3 tickets for the first 3 participants to break the code in Part I. Send the decrypted results ASAP to spookywarfare ( at ) ethicalhacker . net.
      – Signed copies of the upcoming Syngress book, The Basics of Cyber Warfare, by Jason Andress and Steve Winterfeld go to 3 of those who entered by Midnight on Halloween (Details below).

For this go around, you’ll have a chronologically ordered set of clues to help you along your way, couched in the form of a bit of my own personal doggerel. So let’s get going.

Good luck,
      Don

UNIX
      Participant

Nice, I’ll give it a try if time permits. 🙂

jason
      Participant

The more the merrier 🙂 Contest-induced swearing and teeth gnashing brings on that special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, maybe below the cockles, maybe in the sub-cockle area, maybe in the liver, maybe in the kidneys, maybe even in the colon.

blackazarro
      Participant

Me wants ticket!  🙂 Let me give this a try. My hack-fu is kinda of rusty… he he.

Jamie.R
      Participant

Sounds like a good fun

jason
      Participant

Good fun to watch too 🙂

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Hey All,

No one broke it yet. I did get some who sent messages about deciphering Clue #1. Just figuring out the riddle that is Clue #1 is not what we’re looking for you to solve.

To be even more clear… Clue #1 takes you to a location where it should be obvious that something needs to be decrypted. Break the code at that location and email the answer to us. That is what we consider finishing Part I.

Hope that helps,
      Don

blackazarro
      Participant

I think I too solved the riddle. I’ve been trying to decrypt that thing since last night.

jason
      Participant

Keep after it. There’s a subtle clue on how to decrypt the code built right into it  8)

m0wgli
      Participant

@nebu10uz wrote:

I think I too solved the riddle. I’ve been trying to decrypt that thing since last night.

Me too,  I know the feeling. I’ve been having a go whenever I get the opportunity, which unfortunately isn’t as much as I’d like. 🙁

However, I do enjoy these challenges as I always learn something from them.  🙂

jason
      Participant

I learn a few things too. We had some solutions from the last contest that went in unexpected directions and still managed to get there. That makes them even better in my book  ;D

S3curityM0nkey
      Participant

Reminds me a little of bad High School poetry!  😛

jason
      Participant

Perhaps even Vogon poetry…

jason
      Participant

We have our first completer of the first section. Great job!

jason
      Participant

2 people through the first part now  😮

Data_Raid
      Participant

Jason, here’s something for you  😉 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XZGHOxnCto

jason
      Participant

;D

jason
      Participant

We have our first entry for completing the contest! Don’t forget, you need to send in a writeup of your solution.

– 1 report will be deemed the best and will not only win a signed copy for the participant but will also be published in the announcement article.
      – 2 reports will be randomly selected from all winners, and the authors get signed copies.

We also have 1 DerbyCon ticket remaining for finishing of the first part of the challenge.

UNIX
      Participant

I didn’t think I’d be the first one. I will forward you my write-up of the challenge in the coming days. 😀

jason
      Participant

Awesome job! Can’t wait to see how you got there. That’s really the most fun part of the whole thing 🙂

blackazarro
      Participant

Congrats aweSEC! I gotta find some time to do this challenge.

jason
      Participant

A couple small hints, for those having trouble getting past the code:

Experience is the teacher of all things

Inconsistency is the only thing in which men are consistent

and for those stuck on the next part:

I got your magic number
      I’m gonna push your buttons

hayabusa
      Participant

Finally stumbled through part 1.  Praying the rest doesn’t tease me as much…

jason
      Participant

Depending on where you are in the contest, you may see a brief lapse in accessibility to some of the bits today as I switch hosting providers. Justhost seemed to have trouble understanding why I had issues with a 3x hike in the cost of their service  >:(

hayabusa
      Participant

No worries, and thanks for replying, when I asked about it, today.  As usual, you’re punctual!

jason
      Participant

OK, contest bits are now back online. The rest of everything is still in a bit of a shambles, but I’ll get that fixed up in the next day or so.

jason
      Participant

More clues:

You’ll need two turtles to win this fray, one of them is hiding and one is locked away.

In order to win the imprisoned one, bind the galaxy together and get on with the fun.

The turtle that’s hiding will make you vent your spleen. Its very true that its not easy being green.

Once you have them both, you might get a nip. They’re a bit wild, get out your chair and whip.

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Last day and only 1 survived? Come on, Man!!  😮

Don

hayabusa
      Participant

I ran out of time.  Sorry gents.  Can’t wait, though, to see how aweSEC did it all.  Congrats, man! (assuming nobody else nails it, first)

UNIX
      Participant

Is it possible to extend the deadline, so others can continue to work on it and eventually solve it as well? From a technical point of view, my solution is rather disappointing. 😉

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

We can extend this as long as we know people are playing. The deadline is really a way to limit the number of winners of the signed books. So after tomorrow, if we don;t have 3 that finished the challenge, then it siply becomes the first 3 to finish get the signed copies of Jason’s book.

On the other hand, we won;t extend it indefinitely as many want to know the solution.

Sound like a plan?

Don

hayabusa
      Participant

works for me

rattis
      Participant

I like this plan. wish I had the time to give it more than 5 minutes thought. Jason said I should be able to solve it, back at Derby, but really time is a factor, and I feel like I’ve forgot so much.

UNIX
      Participant

@don wrote:

Sound like a plan?
      Don

Sounds good. 🙂

UNIX
      Participant

Is anyone still working on this one?

hayabusa
      Participant

I stopped working on it, a while ago.  Had too much else going on.  Might revisit it, soon, if it’s left up / open.

Otherwise, looking forward to seeing the ‘how to”s

;D

jason
      Participant

Yup, all the bits are still up 🙂

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?