[Article]-Review: Pen Tester Sets Sights on the IronKey

This topic contains 13 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Don Donzal 10 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
     Don Donzal 
    Keymaster

There’s been a lot of chatter about this device in our forums over the last year. Take a look at what Mike thinks. Is it yet another in a long line of inadequate hardware devices? Take a look.

Permanent link: [Article]-Review: Pen Tester Sets Sites on the IronKey

[align=center:1nzf4u85][/align:1nzf4u85]

After more than 10 years in the information security industry and a significant amount of time running a lab that tests products, I’m a pretty difficult guy to impress with technology.  And I’m NEVER nice to vendors.  They hate me.  As an example, when running said test lab, we once had a vendor give a client six-figures worth of software when the client told them that we’d be testing it before they purchased.  The client was happy, so we did our jobs even though we never tested a thing.

The only product I have ever had a net positive review of was the Safeboot disk encryption product, and even then, it was a case of being damned with faint praise.  I believe that the entire positive part of our assessment was: “the product works as advertised.”

So, when Don approached me to do a review of the IronKey Personal, I knew I was going to rip it apart.  I was going to write a scathing review of how terrible their product is and why these “gimmicky” pieces of hardware don’t work.  Because they usually don’t.

Let us know what you think and if you’d like to see other hardware reviews by Mr. Murray.

Don

former33t 
    Participant

I’m impressed (both with the review and the product).  If Mr. Murray is willing to do more reviews, I’d be interested to read them.

UNIX 
    Participant

I have not read it yet but I would like to know if you bought it yourself or if it was supplied by IronKey?

BillV 
    Participant

Nice review and a good, quick read. Enjoyed it. Also good to see that the IronKey stood up against the tests (especially the washing machine test). Might have to look into one of these. Thanks.

BillV

robbk 
    Participant

Interesting review, and it’s good to know that the Ironkey stands up well to attacks.  I’m curious, though, about the password recovery system, which is an online service.  Was any attempt made to recover the password?  What was the result? 

I don’t know that I care how secure the hardware is, if the recovery password is as easy to get as Palin’s yahoo mail account. 

I’m also morbidly curious to see how the device behaves after it “self-destructs”…

RoleReversal 
    Participant

Great review, I’ve always looked at the IronKey as a ‘I can do that myself with free tools’ and dismissed the cost. Think I definitely need a re-think.

Not sure about the washing-machine aspect as a selling point though, I’ve had a couple of freebies withstand the same punishment, albeit after I glued the casings back together (how my washing machine survives the things I leave in my pockets is beyond me)

Regarding the possibility of future reviews, I’ll join the ‘if you make it, they will come’ school of thought. If you keep writing, I’ll keep reading 😀

Anonymous 
    Participant

Hi all,

Ok you maybe wating to know is the IronKey really as good as they say it is, well I think it is I have 2 of them, the self destruct really works trust me I have done it to 4 of them (Don’t ask all my fault) you would also have a good idea of how the IronKey works if you pop over to there forum as well at https://www.ironkey.com/forum yes that is HTTPS.

Also try looking on youtube as well for the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zT1Gs4MGH8&feature=channel_page just a guess but some one said in this thread that they have free pen drive that stand up to the wash test check out that link first and see if they will stand up to that 😉

I really love my IronKey’s and would tell any one to get one.

mjw 
    Participant

Sorry. Didn’t find the article particularly useful. I get that you like the device, however you didn’t detail the tests that you did or the results. Therefore, I’m left to wonder how the device actually performed. It’s obvious that you’re pleased with the results, but you didn’t communicate why.

jason 
    Participant

Good review. I too would like to see more detail on the testing that you did.

dalepearson 
    Participant

Good liitle review there, I have had my ironkey for over a year (helps I got it for free to review at the time) but I have always said its a cracking bit of kit.

Thanks for taking the time.

RoleReversal 
    Participant

@johnscot wrote:

Also try looking on youtube as well for the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zT1Gs4MGH8&feature=channel_page just a guess but some one said in this thread that they have free pen drive that stand up to the wash test check out that link first and see if they will stand up to that 😉

Nope, don’t know if my freebie would stand up to that. But there’s not much chance of me getting my clothes laundered in the worlds most powerful washing machine either. So I’d say the point is moot.

Not saying the IronKey isn’t a good device (I’ve never seen one to know), but so far my free/cheap drives have stood up to the punishment I’ve put them through in real life, I don’t need more than that.The risk/protection versus cost doesn’t add up for my requirements.

(Other than my geeky side going ‘Oh Oh Shiney….’ in a Homer-esque manner)

UNIX 
    Participant

@mjw wrote:

Sorry. Didn’t find the article particularly useful. I get that you like the device, however you didn’t detail the tests that you did or the results. Therefore, I’m left to wonder how the device actually performed. It’s obvious that you’re pleased with the results, but you didn’t communicate why.

@jason wrote:

Good review. I too would like to see more detail on the testing that you did.

I read it and thought the same. However, as I got my own IronKey yesterday I will do a more in-depth review very soon after I have tested it for some time.
    I will inform you when it is finished and pm you a link to my website where you can find it. 😉

UNIX 
    Participant

As promised I made also a review on the IronKey and tried to give a little more details on the device itself.
    It can be found on my website here.
    If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.
    Feedback is appreciated.

Don Donzal 
    Keymaster

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2019 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?