[Article]-October 2011 Free Giveaway Winners – Mile2

Viewing 70 reply threads
  • Author
      Don Donzal
      Keymaster

It sometimes takes longer to make an announcement, but, as we have in the past, we like to make sure that the winners can actually use the prize. This month is a little different. We’ve contacted the top 2 winners, and one hasn’t gotten back. But we need to get this out, so if we don’t hear from the second main prize winner, I’ll reward it to one of the other 10 winners of the lesser prize. I’ll contact the second 10 soon after I hear from the other main winner.

As always, it’s an absolute pleasure to be able to give these great prizes away and actually have a positive, real effect on the careers of our readers.

Permanent link: [Article]-October 2011 Free Giveaway Winners – Mile2

[align=center:1idauetb]We Have Lots of Winners!![/align:1idauetb]

[align=center:1idauetb][/align:1idauetb]

That’s right! With over $14,000 worth of training to give away from last month’s sponsor, there are lots and lots of winners. Many thanks to Mile2 for their generosity not only to the members of EH-Net this month, but also their continued support of those in the military and law enforcement. I know the value of the prizes are staggering, and I don’t fool myself in thinking that this can continue each and every month, but I’ll ride this current wave as long as I can. Mile2 offers quality training for topics ranging from pentesting & forensics to disaster recovery and secure coding. See all of Mile2’s course offerings. And the winners are:

– Two online live seats ($3000 per seat) and free exams ($250) for cd1zz & a player to be named later.
      – 10 video and examination combos ($800 per seat) is awarded to 3xban, alucian, billv, eth3real, hayabusa, Joshsevo, Negrita, p0et, rance & YuckTheFankees.
      – And ALL EH-Netters Win 50% Off Anything & Everything Mile2 Offers

As with every month, all you have to do is participate on EH-Net. Write some reviews or tutorials, spread the word of EH-Net to the wider security community, share in the forums, help someone advance their career, tweet our articles… whatever you think you can do to increase the reach and effectiveness of our growing community gets you noticed. Getting noticed gets you great prizes. It’s that simple. Congrats to the winners, and thanks for all you do to make EH-Net THE place for security professionals! 

[align=center:1idauetb]Participation is the ONLY way to win. Start a thread that sparks lots of interest; share thoughts and experiences; help a newbie… quality is more important than quantity.

Only members are eligible!
      Registration Is FREE!
      [/align:1idauetb]

Thanks to all EH-Netters,
      Don

n3r
      Participant

Congrats to all the winners !! You got really nice prizes this month !!

Anonymous
      Participant

Well done to all winners! You have an amazing prize wish it was me 😛

Darktaurus
      Participant

Congrats everyone! Have fun with the great prizes!  Save time for Turkey Day!  ;D

SephStorm
      Participant

wow. I really thought I had a chance. Well, congrats to all who did win, and we cant wait for your reviews. And thanks to Don for getting the 50% off offer extended. That will certainly help those who didnt win.

hayabusa
      Participant

Thx, don, and congrats to all the winners!

r2s
      Participant

@SephStorm wrote:

wow. I really thought I had a chance. Well, congrats to all who did win, and we cant wait for your reviews. And thanks to Don for getting the 50% off offer extended. That will certainly help those who didnt win.

Same :P. Definitely congrats to the winners! This is a great forum and I plan to keep contributing more advice as I grow in the IA community.

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

This is a great prize to win. I’ve been focusing on my Red Hat certs, so I havent been able to come on here as much as usual..but I will definitely give a review of the course once I finish.

hayabusa
      Participant

I’m planning on looking at the CSWAE package, once they get in touch with me, and will write up a review on it, once I’m entrenched in it.  I know it’s a newer program from them, and added training in web apps never hurts.

eth3real
      Participant

Congrats to everyone who won, this is a great set of prizes. 🙂

SephStorm and r2s, don’t be discouraged, you will have plenty of other chances for other great prizes!

I’ve been looking at the course list at Mile2. Does anyone know how these compare with EC-Council’s certifications? Is Mile2’s CPEH similar to CEH?

Triban
      Participant

Thanks Mile2 and Don for making this happen!  I am looking forward to this!  I am just not sure which way to go.  The fun kid inside wants to go with the frosted goodness of CPTE, but the adult in me wants to consider CIHE or CDFE.  I think any of them would actually be fun.  Whichever I decide I’ll be sure to write up a review.

😀

lorddicranius
      Participant

Gratz to everybody who won 🙂

rance
      Participant

Wah-hoo! Thanks EH and M2!

BillV
      Participant

@eth3real wrote:

I’ve been looking at the course list at Mile2. Does anyone know how these compare with EC-Council’s certifications? Is Mile2’s CPEH similar to CEH?

There have been a couple posts here and there regarding this topic if you search the forums.

If there isn’t a good, solid comparison out there yet, I’m pretty sure you can expect several coming soon given this giveway!

Thanks, Don! Great prize! And congrats to all the winners!

SephStorm
      Participant

My opinion: CPTE= CEH (with knowledge) I say that because it defiantly makes a better effort to demonstrate the concepts and tools.

impelse
      Participant

congrats guys

p0et
      Participant

Sweeeeet!  Thanks EH.  8)
      I think I’ll probably do the CPTE.. looks a bit better than CEH. 🙂

eth3real
      Participant

Has anyone heard from Mile2 and got started with the video and examination combo?

cd1zz
      Participant

I haven’t heard anything yet…..

rance
      Participant

negative, ghost rider.

Triban
      Participant

nothing as well.  Considering they are prizes, I am sure priority is not high for delivery.

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

My bad on this one, not Mile2. I had a few things come up and compiling the long list of winners and their contact info, as 3xban put it, fell lower on the priority list. I’m working on it right now, and I’ll send it to Mile2 today even if I don’t have all winners’ replies.

My apologies,
      Don

impelse
      Participant

Cool down guys, I know you want price now.

Triban
      Participant

just trying to plan my hibernation activities for whenever winter decides to descend on the North East.  it was in the 60s again last night.  😀

impelse
      Participant

We got 37 last night in the south

eth3real
      Participant

Wasn’t trying to rush anyone, I just wanted to make sure I didn’t screw up when giving Don my contact information. I have a tendency to make crazy typos on common things, especially my email address. 😛

Triban
      Participant

Well Eth3real, there is still that chance 😉 

impelse
      Participant

After you see something nasty you became paranoid in IT

alucian
      Participant

Thank You Very Much Don & Mile2!!!

I am thinking about doing the one about DR (if it is possible), but first I have to finninsh GWAPT and OSCP.

I hope that this training will give me more than theory.

So… I’ll have a hot winter.

Congrats to the other winners.

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

I just received the email from Mile2, is anyone else confused by it?

** He said we have one day to claim our CBT/ Exam…so HURRY!**

Triban
      Participant

I received it as well and they don’t say how to redeem.  Not to mention the typos.  If I were paranoid 😉 I would think we were being phished,  this is a test right?  If we pass we get into a secret exclusive club of l337 Hax0rz

:p

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

I replied back with the course I wanted and asked how long we get access to the video’s.

eth3real
      Participant

Trying to decide between CPTE and CISSO. I currently have my CEH, though it is expired, and was preparing to get my CISSP. Any suggestions?

Triban
      Participant

he sent a follow-up with attachment and the code for the exam voucher but still no details how to get our on-demand CBT course. Hey Yuck, did you get a response?  Is that voucher code used for both?

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

It’s used for both..but when you put the CBT and exam in the cart and try to cash out…the code he gave only takes off 700..but the total is 799..so it shows we have to pay $99. I emailed him about this, but I havent received an email back yet. Ill let you guys know what I find out.

eth3real
      Participant

Thanks 3xban and YuckTheFankees, very helpful. The “voucher available for 1 day only” thing was a bit of a surprise. 😮

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

I know…you would think that they want people to try their course and spread the word..

eth3real
      Participant

They added $100 to the voucher, just got the email with the new voucher code.

alucian
      Participant

They fixed the voucher and now it worths 800$.

In the same time I don’t think that you’ll have the student kit (450$ – printed workbooks, lab guide, the tools…)

Anyway, I don’t know which course to choose : CPTE (I am doing OSCP), CSWAE (I am doing GWAPT and I plan to do some labs from WAHH2), I am CISSP, I am not a programmer, I don’t want to know more about forensecs than I know now…

I was interested in the DR one, but it is not on the list, and I doubt that it goes deeper than CISSP and CISM does. Also they are mentioning that it is only theory.

What do you think? Which one will make a difference?

YuckTheFankees
      Participant

Cool, thanks for the update everyone. Im thinking CPTE or CDFE for myself..i dont know yet.

Triban
      Participant

Choices choices…. the geek in me wants to go with DF or PTE but the go-getter in me wants to go CISSO which means I will inevitably go for a CISSP.  hmmmmmm….    tough choice I think.

alucian
      Participant

@3xban    If I were you I would go for CPTE

First, for CISSP you can buy the book (cca 50$) and you have to buy the exam anyway. Second, you’ll have a redundant cert (CISSO and CISSP).

With CPTE you’ll get a lot of hands on knowledge. Don’t forget that the voucher is valid for one year, so when you’ll get bored studying for CISSP you’ll be able to see the videos from Mile2 and feel like a real security guy.

Just my 2 cents

Triban
      Participant

Alucian, I was thinking the same thing, I haven’t had any formal PT training, anything I know I’ve learned from mucking around and that can sometimes lead to easy distractions.  At least going CPTE will let me fire up and make use of my VM lab a bit more (Macbook Pro i7 w/ 8GB of ram and VMware fusion 😀 ).  I fear trying to spend the winter studying CISSP/O material will just make me want to fire up the PS3 and zone out in Skyrim :p  I would consider DF but I see it as a bit limited in scope of industry with little hands on opportunity in my current position.  Pen Testing, well that can be used both in and out of my current job (Out of meaning sidework).  CPTE it is I think!

alucian
      Participant

@3xban
      I am glad that I helped you.
      For CISSP I recommend Shon Harris’s book and cccure.org. The book is interesting and you’ll find the site useful.

For CPTE you’ll have to buy the lab guide, plus access to the war room (when you’ll be ready). They will help you to better understand the subjects.

Good luck!

Me, I still didn’t decided yet…

eth3real
      Participant

I think that basically answers my question, too. I suppose I’ll do CPTE since I’m planning on doing CISSP in the near future, anyway.

BillV
      Participant

FYI for anyone else that may have this thinking…

I don’t particularly have any interest in Mile2, their products, or certifications, or think any of it is worthwhile at the moment.

I thought maybe I’d check out the CPTConsultant but it’s only offered as a $450 self-study kit. Figured this is well under $800 for the CBT + exam (plus I had to pay shipping costs). I was successful in completing the order with the voucher but they emailed me back saying I couldn’t get it.

So, now I’m just waiting for my refund ::)

hayabusa
      Participant

I was a little shocked by the email that said we had to register for the exam voucher, TODAY!  Not much time for a full decision.

That said, though, it’s free, so I’ll still work through the CSWAE I signed up for…

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

I didn’t know about the one day time limit. If anyone has trouble, please PM me. As always, I’ll do everything I can to fight for EH-Netters.

Don

hayabusa
      Participant

It said something about the voucher expiring at end of November, so we had to hurry up and use it.  Then he sent a different one, because the first was $100 low, or something along those lines.  Very confusing…

In my case, I got registered, so I’m fine.  It just threw me for a bit. 

I’d even emailed them for clarification, and hadn’t heard back.  But since I had an idea what I wanted, anyway, I just went ahead and registered.  Like I said, it’s free!  I take advantage of any free training, even if just to learn more.

Thanks, don!

KrisTeason
      Participant

Congrats winners! With all of the seats being handed out, and people choosing between so many courses, I would love to hear some reviews of their training after all of you take it ( :

Has the player to be named been named yet by chance!?

hayabusa
      Participant

I’ll def review CSWAE for EH-net. 

The website said it was ‘new,’ so I’m curious to go through it.  I glanced through a few modules, briefly, and it definitely is geared more towards a secure web developer, from what little I saw this afternoon, but it still looked interesting.  There is a section that is titled ‘Web App Pentesting,” so I’m curious where they take it.  I know it also had some other sections about CSS and CSRF, so we’ll see.

alucian
      Participant

@hayabusa

It is good that you took CSWAE and you’ll review it.

I took CDRE (I hope they will accept it). If they do, I will review it for EH-net.

Good luck to all the students!

tturner
      Participant

I’m about 1/3 of the way through CSWAE as well. So far it’s pretty basic but seems to be explaining topics well. Seems geared towards web devs with zero security knowledge. Hoping it gets a bit more technical. I want to see more bad code vs good code and an explanation of why it’s good or bad. That’s where I’m weak. I have theory coming out of my ears and have a great understanding of things like OWASP top 10 and what they are but I desperately want practical application. Like what does a SQLi vuln look like in the code? What does a XSS vuln look like? If it’s not a variable being echoed back to the user I can’t spot it in the code. I’m really hoping CSWAE goes there. If not I need to identify some other options.

I’ll be happy to provide some more in depth feedback once I finish the course but am also interested in what Hayabusa has to say about it.

p0et
      Participant

Whoa!  Glad I checked my email tonight (was out all day).  I thought I would have some time to think about which course I wanted to take.  (CPEH vs CPTE)  Since I only had a matter of a couple hrs to decide, I went with CPTE and registered for the exam.  I haven’t looked  yet to see when I actually have to write the exam.  I see a note saying that it’s currently in the process of being updated with new labs and dvd’s for that course… hope that doesn’t mean it’s too outdated right now.

Are any of the other winners purchasing a “Course Kit” as well as the CBT course you won? 

p0et
      Participant

It doesn’t mention in the email anything about using the voucher to purchase the CBT course.  Do we need to use the voucher by end of the night tonight for the CBT course as well?

Anyone going for the DVD instead of the Online Streaming?  I was thinking of doing this for CPTE but then on the page it says they’re in the process of updating the DVD.. so not sure.

hayabusa
      Participant

It didn’t ‘appear,’ anyway, that I was able to do DVD, rather than streaming.  So I chose streaming, to just get started into it, as I have some free time coming up fast.  But DVD version would’ve been nice.

Triban
      Participant

I didn’t see the option for the DVD either.  One would think the streamed versions would contain the updated info before the DVD got it.  Guess we will see.  Hey its a free course so I have not set the expecations too high.  Probably won’t bother with the course kit.  Seeing that it is almost as much as the CBT.  I am paying for RSA out of pocket this year so budget is tight 😀

hayabusa
      Participant

I ALMOST emailed them, to ask if we got the deal for free course kit, for ordering video and exam by end of month – from the Banner ad on EH, all of November, and still up, this morning.  ;D  (That said, if they decide, for anyone else, that they want to do that, please let me know…  I’m never against reading materials, and have a week-long road trip coming up)

But I figured I’d be thankful for what we got (again, freebie,) and see what the training has to offer.

l33t5h@rk
      Participant

@BillV wrote:

I don’t particularly have any interest in Mile2, their products, or certifications, or think any of it is worthwhile at the moment.

Shots fired!

Care to elaborate?

BillV
      Participant

@l33t5h@rk wrote:

@BillV wrote:

Shots fired!

Care to elaborate?

Haha! I guess when you pull it from the rest of the context that was with it, it does sound kind of evil. The FYI was more for the second part of that post. The part you’ve referenced was on a personal level. They were nice about the mix-up and refunded my money with no problems. They’ve also offered to add my choice of CBT to my account per the giveaway.

I don’t have anything particularly against Mile2. I just don’t see value in their certifications in the field at the moment. The knowledge learned from the course may certainly be worth something but I don’t feel any of it will add anything to my qualifications or really be beneficial to me.

I’d much rather see this go to someone who can use it to advance their career or gain knowledge from the course. I never had them add a CBT to my account so there’s no reason someone else can’t have this – would hate to see it go unused.

l33t5h@rk
      Participant

Are you auctioning off that credit?  ;D

I’ll start the bidding at $0.01

I think most of the certification bodies will struggle with this quandary of making their certification valuable in the industry. I mean, MSFT still struggles with it and … well … they’re Microsoft. PT certs are going to be niche to begin with so I wonder if HR has added Mile2 to their keywords at this point.

BillV
      Participant

Well that wouldn’t be very ethical lol 😛

Actually just waiting on feedback from Don since it’s up to him to hand out the prizes 🙂

SephStorm
      Participant

Sorry for the necromancy, but I was wondering if anyone has completed the course? Anyone have a review yet?

impelse
      Participant

I bought the training by myself and the lab is good, I contact them because I want to upgrade with the latest version of the lab with Windows 7/2008 and backtrack 5.

eth3real
      Participant

Not sure if it’s much of a feat, but I passed the Mile2 CPTE today. 8)

impelse
      Participant

Congrats. How was the exam? Can you compare with CEH?

eth3real
      Participant

CEHv5 kicked my ass. I failed by 1 point (EC-Council was nice to enough to grant me the certificate anyway after I studied my ass off and was prepared to do a retake), and it was a long exam at a testing center. Mentally and physically exhausting.

CPTE was 100 questions, did it online, it’s supposed to be open-book if you have the course materials, and the questions were a bit easier. There were also some bugs. I swear I got the same question twice (at least once), and there was one question that started with “Given the diagram below…” and there was no diagram. :-[

rance
      Participant

@eth3real wrote:

CEHv5 kicked my ass. I failed by 1 point (EC-Council was nice to enough to grant me the certificate anyway after I studied my ass off and was prepared to do a retake), and it was a long exam at a testing center. Mentally and physically exhausting.

CPTE was 100 questions, did it online, it’s supposed to be open-book if you have the course materials, and the questions were a bit easier. There were also some bugs. I swear I got the same question twice (at least once), and there was one question that started with “Given the diagram below…” and there was no diagram. :-[

Compare CEH to CPTE please. I thought the CEH was a waste of time… memorize these port numbers, memorize these command line switches, memorize this that and the other thing. Was so impressed with the certification, I let it expire and won’t take the exam again.

BillV
      Participant

There are a handful of threads that compare these. Here are a couple:

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,54/topic,8267.msg45116/topicseen,1/

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,54/topic,701.0/

My guess (having not done anything Mile2) is that the content will likely be similar. Also, the ANSI accredited CEH v8 exam should be a big difference from all previous versions of the exam.

SephStorm
      Participant

Hi Bill, did anyone ever post the differences in v8? I could have sworn i saw an article or post somewhere saying that it was only a minor change that allowed the accreditation and there were no other changes.

BillV
      Participant

No, there were a lot of changes (and 2 years of effort) to earn the accreditation.

As far as content, I’m not really sure. The courseware has not yet been released (perhaps the end of this month at Hacker Halted?).

The exam itself has undergone a lot of changes – basically starting from scratch. Various panels were put together to develop the topics, objectives, and questions. Everything was pretty thoroughly reviewed before being placed into the exam.

There is a little bit of information covered here:
      https://cert.eccouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/CEH-Candidate-Handbook-v1.6-13022012.pdf

I believe everything on the EC-Council site is still v7 – but, like I said, this will likely get updated soon.

Viewing 70 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?