[Article]-Miracle on Thirty-Hack Street

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Don Donzal
      Keymaster

All families have their traditions, and we are no different. Here we are to uphold one of EH-Net’s own traditions… Ed Skoudis’ Annual Xmas Challenge. This time you get to hack Facebook and save Kris Kringle from a life of meds and no Yankees games (name that movie (no extra credit for that one)). I’ll let Ed do the rest.

Permanent link: [Article]-Miracle on Thirty-Hack Street

[align=center:tysziwn2][/align:tysziwn2]

Merry Christmas, challenge fans! As you know, my friends and I write several challenges per year for EthicalHacker.net. But, we’ve made it a bit of a tradition around here of reserving the December challenge slot for me, an honor which I sincerely appreciate. During past holiday seasons, you got to tangle with the Grinch, Rudolph, that Messy Marvin kid, Frosty, and even Santa himself.

This year, Kevin Johnson and I worked together on a challenge in which you’ll get to save Santa Claus from the insane asylum! We call it “Miracle on Thirty-Hack Street”, after the classic 1947 movie. In this tale, you’ll get to analyze some Facebook accounts to see if you can draw out the secrets needed to decrypt a file. Remember, we’ll award an autographed copy of my Counter Hack Reloaded book to three winners: the best technical answer, the best creative answer that is technically correct, and a random draw winner from anyone who happens to send in, well, pretty much anything in association with the challenge. Even if you can’t answer all of the questions, send us what you’ve got to try for that random draw slot. Thank you again for reading and participating in these challenges. I hope you enjoy this one! All entries are due by January 11, 2010.

[align=right:tysziwn2]–Ed Skoudis
      EthicalHacker.net Challenge Master
      Author of Counter Hack Reloaded, Co-Founder, InGuardians, SANS Instructor[/align:tysziwn2]

Have fun and Happy Holidays to all,
      Don

rattis
      Participant

I know I’m lacking some of the skills, but I’m so going to play with this one. Maybe I’ll learn some new things.

Thanks Ed, Kevin, and Don.

blackazarro
      Participant

The challenge looks interesting. I can’t wait to start.

Ketchup
      Participant

Facebook privacy settings recently changed.  Hopefully this challenge accepts an answer based on the current default settings, since I have no idea what the defaults used to be. 

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Submitted to digg. Help these challenges get the attention they deserve:

http://digg.com/security/Challenge_to_all_Hackers_Miracle_on_Thirty_Hack_Street

Thanks,
      Don

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Last weekend to work on your submissions. Remember, enter evn incomplete answers, as there’s a random winner for each and every challenge who also gets a signed copy of Ed’s book.

Don

hayabusa
      Participant

@Ketchup wrote:

Facebook privacy settings recently changed.   Hopefully this challenge accepts an answer based on the current default settings, since I have no idea what the defaults used to be. 

I used the current default, particularly in showing the answers for the BONUS question, as the current defaults key you in on what can be seen, right now…

uranium194
      Participant

Just curious when Winners would be announced or if they have already been notified and me not knowing means I didnt win /sad panda

hayabusa
      Participant

I don’t think it’s been announced, yet.  I know, from past challenges, there’s usually a couple of week delay from contest entry end to results.  (and I KNOW Ed stays plenty busy, outside of the challenge creation / judging, too)  So I wouldn’t be suprised to see the results sometime in the next week or so, but that’s only MY speculation.  ;D

UNIX
      Participant

Usually the winners will be announced here at EH-Net, and I assume, that if you should be one of the lucky winners, you will be personally notified as well.

I guess there are many contributions, so it is understandable that it takes some time to go through all of them.

oneeyedcarmen
      Participant

You’re ALL winners! Kevin now owns all of your FB accounts  ;D

Wish I would have seen this one sooner. I usually just jump straight into the forums…BAD oneeyedcarmen!!!

And, Don, I believe you’re referencing the Michael Keaton/Christopher Lloyd classic, “The Dream Team.”

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

In a way, I guess you’re correct on your movie guess, although it was in turn copying a classic. I was thinking of that original classic which is One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest with Jack!

Don

oneeyedcarmen
      Participant

I’ve read that book, probably 50 times in my life, and seen the movie more times. I’m a bit embarassed that I didn’t nail that one.  :'( Nurse Ratched’s gonna get me!

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Sorry for the delay, but with many entries, 2 experts and busy schedules to contend with, we just needed a little more time. Ed has sent me the answers and winners, so these should be posted soon.

Don

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?