[Article]-March 2012 Free Giveaway Winner of Training Camp Prize

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • Author
      Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Congrats to this month’s winner and good luck to all of you as we continue our mission to help EH-Netters accomplish their dreams of hacking for a living… the legit way!!

Permanent link: [Article]-March 2012 Free Giveaway Winner of Training Camp Prize

[align=center:39lq6vfd]We Have a Winner!!

[/align:39lq6vfd]

Recently, EH-Net published an interview with CompTIA’s Product Manager of CASP, where we wondered if this was The Evolution of Technical Security Certifications? Since then, this new credential has been officially released. Here’s your chance to get in early as this month’s sponsor writes:

“Be one of the first to earn this new CompTIA advanced-level security certification. With Training Camp, you will receive CompTIA authorized courseware and expert instruction while learning to conceptualize, design, and engineer secure solutions across complex environments. Our course is designed to provide the maximum amount of material over the shortest period of time, enabling students to walk away certified in a matter of only 5 days.”

And for this month only, Training Camp is offering a free seat in any CASP course to one lucky member of EH-Net! And the deserving winner this month is El33tsamurai. Congrats!! You too can stay ahead of the curve with Training Camp’s CASP Certification Course and meet the growing demand for advanced IT security in the enterprise today.

[align=center:39lq6vfd]Only members are eligible!
      Registration Is FREE![/align:39lq6vfd]

Still plenty of time to make a good impression for this month’s prize,
      Don

unicityd
      Participant

When I look up El33tsamurai, I don’t see him posting anything at all for the month of March.  Is this participation-based or is it a random drawing of all members?

El33tsamurai
      Participant

Thank you so much I really appreciate this.  To the last post I do apologize that my posts were lacking in March but I was heavy in to the OSCP, as well as writing grad papers for all 3 of my grad class, and I started a new job so I was really busy.

dynamik
      Participant

Congrats, El33tsamurai!

@unicityd wrote:

When I look up El33tsamurai, I don’t see him posting anything at all for the month of March.  Is this participation-based or is it a random drawing of all members?

It requires some sort of participation, but it can be kind of random. Sometimes previous activity is rewarded, or maybe someone really earned the prize one month won it then but had to turn it down for some reason. It needs to be somewhat relevant for the person too. If the prize is CISSP training and all the top contributors are CISSPs, it obviously goes to someone who needs it. There is also some intentional rotation, so the same people don’t win repeatedly.

At least, I think, anyway. Those are just my observations 😉

unicityd
      Participant

I do apologize that my posts were lacking in March but I was…

I was just curious how it works.  I don’t mean to take anything away from you and I’m aware you’ve been active in the past.  I get tied up with school as well.

Congrats and enjoy the class.

hayabusa
      Participant

Congrats, El33tsamurai!

Anonymous
      Participant

well done

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

ajohnson is correct in that I look at many factors several of which he hit on the head. One that he mentioned does happen often, where I contact a member and for whatever reason can’t accept the prize. So most of the time I have to ask several members before I get to someone who not only needs it but can use it. That is also why the winner sometimes isn’t chosen until later in the month

I do try to have the winner selected before making the announcement, so that I don’t have to keep making updates to the articles and forum threads. That happened in the past where I put someone in the announcement who found out after the fact that they couldn’t use it. I felt it was only fair to give that member another prize in a future month. Lo and behold, another member noticed the winner’s name twice in a given year and sent a very direct note to me questioning the process.  ::) All of this happens behind the scenes, and it’s something that I usually don’t share. It’s just part of running the site.

Another thought… Since we work very hard at coming up with these prizes, we don’t want them to go to waste. So I ask bluntly that if the person can’t use it (or thinks he might not be able to) then let me give it to someone else. I’d hate for a prize to sit on the shelf for a year and eventually not be used.

There is a method to my madness. So although it may seem random, I feel the eventual outcomes are more than fair.

Case in point… El33tsamurai. He was not the first member chosen this month. But in the end, he was the memebr with the most posts who had yet to ever win and who could also utilize the prize.

Hope that helps give a glimpse into how it’s done.

Don

El33tsamurai
      Participant

Thanks everyone.

Triban
      Participant

Congrats man!  Have fun at camp!  don’t let the bigger boys bully you! 😀

El33tsamurai
      Participant

never got the prize 🙁

cd1zz
      Participant

Why not?

El33tsamurai
      Participant

Don says he was working with the company but does not seem like they want to give the prize.

cd1zz
      Participant

Hmm. Sounds like they got a free month of advertising. Scammers! Sorry to hear about that.

El33tsamurai
      Participant

I guess I am just really disappointed!

SephStorm
      Participant

How disturbing. I should be attending a course with them in a few weeks, I intend to bring this up to the staff if it hasnt been resolved by then.

El33tsamurai
      Participant

“March 2012 Free Giveaway”

Its now 6 days from Nov, I don’t think its going to be fixed 🙁

MaXe
      Participant

Well at least I hope they will be banned for ever being mentioned here on EH-net unless it’s in a bad way  ;D A bit extreme, but you can’t just promise to give something away and get free advertising of your products, and then not give anything away. That’s cheating  ;D

tturner
      Participant

@El33tsamurai wrote:

If it makes you feel better, I had to wait 18+ months to take my February 2011 prize. Don’t give up unless the company actually told you they were not going to do it. Good luck!

hayabusa
      Participant

What a crock…  I hope they get their act together, and make things right for you.  It’s fairly unommon to pull a ‘bait and switch’, when it’s so highly visible, on a popular website.  I’d think a little ‘pressure’ would go a long way towards resolving the situation. 

Worst case, they should know they’re going to lose any potential business from members here.

shadowzero
      Participant

@tturner wrote:

@El33tsamurai wrote:

If it makes you feel better, I had to wait 18+ months to take my February 2011 prize. Don’t give up unless the company actually told you they were not going to do it. Good luck!

😮 I’m still waiting to receive the OSCE code for the Offsec prize. Want to take it early next year so I hope I don’t have to wait that long.

hayabusa
      Participant

@shadowzero – did you already knock out the pre-reg challenge?  (assuming, but just making sure…)

shadowzero
      Participant

@hayabusa wrote:

@shadowzero – did you already knock out the pre-reg challenge?  (assuming, but just making sure…)

Yeah I already beat the fc4.me challenge just for kicks. Will obviously have to do it again when I’m ready to take the course. Anyway, when I go to register for the course I see a section on Voucher Code, so I assume that’s what I’m waiting to receive so I can take the course for free.

El33tsamurai
      Participant

@tturner wrote:

@El33tsamurai wrote:

The company did not even contact me!

tturner
      Participant

They did not contact me either. I had to hound them every couple of months for a year and a half. I wasn’t going to take no for an answer. I’m sure I was a huge pain in the ass but in the end I got what I wanted so whatever.

El33tsamurai
      Participant

I don’t have the contact info did Don send that to you?

cd1zz
      Participant

That’s complete bullshit. I’m surprised Don let that fly.

El33tsamurai
      Participant

Last message I got from him was hes working on it but think hes been really busy

tturner
      Participant

@cd1zz wrote:

That’s complete bullshit. I’m surprised Don let that fly.

Don was very supportive and followed up with me quite a bit during that period. Much of the issue had to do with course popularity and they kept having to cancel the course due to low registration numbers. Eventually they just did a remote live training for me and 1 other student. So while it sounds really bad I don’t think there’s much more Don could have done.

Jamie.R
      Participant

Congrats on winning enjoy the course and dont forget to report back on  how you found the site and material.

El33tsamurai
      Participant

@Jamie.R wrote:

Congrats on winning enjoy the course and dont forget to report back on  how you found the site and material.

Is this a joke?

SephStorm
      Participant

strange…

im not happy with TC right now, their site needs some updates, and I dont know if the class I was planning on attending is still scheduled… They were closed yesterday, we’ll see what happens today.

Jamie.R
      Participant

No its not a joke El33tsamurai others member may want take their course so any feedback on the course will help everyone 🙂

hayabusa
      Participant

@Jamie.R – El33t’s point was that the complaint was he never GOT the course, and is unsure if he ever will.  And the giveaway was from March.  So it seemed as if you hadn’t read the full thread / context.

Jamie.R
      Participant

oh my bad I thought this was for Octobers give away sorry El33tsamurai

El33tsamurai
      Participant

NP all good.

El33tsamurai
      Participant

Quick update:

March 2014 two years later, still never got the class. Don did do right by me, but if this is how they treat members of the info sec community not show how they are still in business.

rattis
      Participant

El33tsamurai:

That sucks but, posting was a good timely reminder since I’m looking at training companies for work. I’m crossing Training Camp off my list now.

chrisj

El33tsamurai
      Participant

Using the ElearnSec for work, their stuff is great.

derebaker
      Participant

Id like to get some tickets =) Ill send you an email, or you can send me one, How would you like to do a banner swap?

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?