[Article]-First Look: Cybrary Free IT Training

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  MTGreen 10 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
     Don Donzal 
    Keymaster

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

As a life-long learner, and someone who is passionate about both bettering myself and helping others to reach higher and achieve their goals, I’m constantly on the lookout for fresh educational materials particularly in the areas of IT Administration and Security. I’m always amazed at the breadth of knowledge that is available, albeit, often at a substantial cost. I’m even more amazed at the amount of free content available but can’t help but be anxious about the quality, validity and dubious characters claiming to be experts just because they have a YouTube Channel. I’ve recently had the opportunity to get an up-close look at Cybrary, a relatively new online training provider with some known instructors. Oh… And before I forget, I should mention – they’re FREE! Could this be the best of both worlds?

Cybrary’s goal is spelled out very clearly when they describe “Our Revolution” throughout their site. They state, “We believe IT and Cyber Security training should be free, for everyone, forever. We believe that everyone, everywhere, deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn. What they do with the opportunity is up to them, but the opportunity should be available. Join us in demanding liberation, help us in forcing change.” That’s all well and good. But how’s the actual training?

DraakusM 
    Participant

Great article!

impelse 
    Participant

Great article, I’ve been watching their videos from the beginning, it is good, thanks for the review.

Daniel 
    Participant

Thanks for the reminder! I’ve been looking at their CISSP videos hadn’t been back to the site to continue.

MTGreen 
    Participant

Hi Don,

Thanks for the post on Cybrary. I had a chance to speak with some of their representatives at an the ISSA Mid-Atlantic conference. It sounded like a great idea to me, and I am glad to see somebody run with it.

I looked for it online and went thorough 12 hours of Linux training for Sys Admin. I must say I was working though the Linux Bible at the same time, and the two complemented each other well. I watched the training by Crybrary casually, and worked my way though the Linux Bible configuring servers and such. I found that the Crybrary training had a comfortable feel, reinforced some issues for me, and I enjoyed it as a break from some of the other work I do.

I can be cynical, and free is one of those words that puts my cynicism on alert. The course I took was good, but on the lower end of the spectrum content wise. It is a great opportunity for someone who wants to learn Linux. It was presented as an exam prep course, and it may have done well at that. I have not taken the exam. I think the practical work of the Linux Bible is more significant, and I was already familiar with Linux.

The problem I have with the education should be free bit, is that they promoted career development though paid training for more substantial information. The offered career advice for a price. I do not have a problem with that, but I prefer people helping people, especially when they sell the free for everyone forever bit. Perhaps the ideal Crybrary promotes is too good to be true.

Having said that, the training I did get was good. The next class I started to sit though was much lower in quality. It might have been networking, and it was very basic. I have not been back for a few months.

MTGreen 
    Participant

I went back today and checked out some more of the Ethical Hacking Course. I forgot that I watched a few minutes before. Today I watched about half and hour, and reviewed the outline again. I thought the instructors did a good job, but at times involved looking at Man or Help pages, and gave a light explanation of some of the terms. I recalled on the Linux+ course it spent a lot of time at man pages. It offer’s 20 hours of coursework. The lab costs money, $99 a month, but went they through some of the lab on youtube, and it was your typical lab excessively vulnerable system.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by  MTGreen.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2019 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?