[Article]-Book Review: Applied Network Security Monitoring

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  azmatt 4 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
     Don Donzal 
    Keymaster

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

As books go, I’m a lifelong reader, so when offered the chance to do more ‘regular’ reviews for The Ethical Hacker Network (EH-Net), I jumped at the opportunity. The past few weeks, I’ve been buried in a GREAT read. Applied Network Security Monitoring: Collection, Detection, and Analysis by Chris Sanders and Jason Smith is an extremely informative dive into the realm of network security data collection and analysis. Fitting for both the offensive and defensive sides of security, the book looks closely at the various concepts, practices and tools that combine to create functional and cost-effective Network Security Monitoring (NSM) solutions for IT environments of all shapes and sizes. For the offensive-security minded, it gives an insight into the tools and techniques used to monitor the network, and allows one to consider how best to circumvent those methods. For the defensive-security minded, the authors do a fantastic job of equipping the reader with not only methodologies but also with tools and realistic examples.

Bear with me on this review, as this book at 496 pages is a long one, but in my opinion, an excellent resource. I’ll do my best to give a thorough overview of the material while keeping things as concise as possible. Hopefully, you’ll see that it’s a worthwhile read in giving a running start into the world of NSM.

azmatt 
    Participant

Great writeup hayabusa, it’s going on the wish list.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2019 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?