Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Hope you like it!!

Permanent link: [Article]-August 2009 Free Giveaway Sponsor – IronKey

[align=center:196ogm26]

IronKeys for the Masses!![/align:196ogm26]

Here’s a good one. We scored 20 USB Drives from our friends at IronKey and plan to give out each and every one of them. All 4GB drives will be awarded to the top EH-Net Forum Contributors. In order to give away 20 devices and still make it so someone deserving wins, we have to break from tradition. This is a great opportunity to reward those who have been top contributors for years as well as those who are just getting their start. So what we’ve decided is to simply award a 4GB IronKey to the Top 20 Posters in our Forums. Yes that means we will have repeat winners, but they deserve it.

Be sure to check out the new IronKey S200, the World’s Most Physically and Cryptographically Secure USB Flash Drive!

Granted the Top 10 are pretty much decided, but there is also plenty of room for newcomers to get one as well. To try to make it even more fair (since we got a late start), we are going to extend the deadline. So instead of this Free Monthly Giveaway ending at the close of August, we are going to extend it until Friday the 18th of Sept. At midnight CDT, I will grab the Top 20 List, and that’s who wins. If there is a tie, the winner will be chosen by the number of new threads started. So start posting!!

[align=center:196ogm26]Participation is the ONLY way to win. Start a thread that sparks lots of interest; share thoughts and experiences; help a newbie… quality is more important than quantity.

Only members are eligible!
      Registration Is FREE!
      [/align:196ogm26]

This time, it’s a numbers game!!

Don

Anonymous
      Participant

Hmmm, 67 spots to climb.  I need to find a spam bot that posts meaningful content.  Yet again another awesome EH-net Giveaway.

Ketchup
      Participant

Oooh, this one is sexy!  (not a spam post)  😛

UNIX
      Participant

Highly appreciated, though I don’t think that giving it to the top posters is the best idea. Hopefully the forums will not be flooded with spam posts and decreases the quality of the forums.

However, already looking forward to get my device. 😀

BillV
      Participant

@awesec wrote:

Hopefully the forums will not be flooded with spam posts and decreases the quality of the forums.

Haha!

/end

….

😉 Might see a few one-line replies and such like that, but those seem to happen all the time, not just during contests. Plus, the community here is pretty great, there are always good discussions going on… plenty of opportunity for anyone from any skill level to jump in or start a thread and receive positive feedback.

BillV

UNIX
      Participant

Yep, true. 🙂

Though it would be hard for zero posters to get into the top 20. Anyway, most active users here would deserve it anyway. Certainly something which comes in handy. 🙂

BillV
      Participant

Anyone have any idea how these guys are doing with the government/DoD?

I know that they have always specifically listed that they meet DoD/military requirements and that government along with corporations were obviously their main targets for sales.

Isn’t _all_ of DoD prohibiting USB/flash drives now?

I know on our systems if you plug a flash drive in, it automatically gets formatted/encrypted by some software that’s installed.

Just a thought anyway…

UNIX
      Participant

I am not sure but I assume that this applies not to all goverment institutions/ military. So it would be possible that they meet requirements of a few organizations which could result in a “we fulfill military requirements” as no specific one is mentioned.

I have a few contacts to Ironkey, so I could ask if you want.

jason
      Participant

Nice one Don. Not sure on the actual use of them presently in government, but they do claim to be FIPS 140-2 certified.

Clay Briggs
      Participant

In my agency they are one of the only USB sticks that is officially accepted. Due to the FIPs compliance.  I weasel around the rules and use true crypt on a cheapy drive most of the time, but the big wigs have Iron Keys. 

secdef81
      Participant

Bill v… yea they usb’s are shot.  Amazing how people at the top panic and choose to cut off arms instead of learning first aid.  now…. if you knew where the drives were sent .. your ears would perk :-X

I think this is an awesome giveaway regardless…… what can i post..hmm…

milman98
      Participant

Yes its true the military no longer supports USB drives due to the security risks.  While I have read over this flash drive, and think its one of the best I have seen especially with its self-distruct capabilities, due to the fact that the military had a virus floating around for a while contracted by a flash drive they now require anything to be placed on a government computer to be on a CD.  They have installed software on most if not all government computers now that if you were to use a flash drive the computer will not recognise the drive so you cant use it on that computer.

This is true with DOD/military computers as I am not sure on the rest of the government computers.

BillV
      Participant

Right, I know the systems here will automatically encrypt your flash drive as soon as you plug it in and then it can only be accessed from other defense systems. That is software that runs within Windows however…

enzo
      Participant

@g00d_4sh wrote:

In my agency they are one of the only USB sticks that is officially accepted. Due to the FIPs compliance.  I weasel around the rules and use true crypt on a cheapy drive most of the time, but the big wigs have Iron Keys. 

eCrypt_FS is another great proggie similar to true crypt, if your using an encrypted file system and then use GnuPG standards on everything your shoveling into that filing system, then the cipher chaining method would stop people in there tracks anyway.

Who the hell would want to waste there time trying to break into an encrypted filing system knowing everything else in that filing system has also been encrypted with huge keys that are simply unavailable. The expression that flys to my mind is “rots of ruck!”

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

Only a few more days to ensure your spot in the Top 20. Get in those last minute posts, new threads, newbie assistance… and an IronKey is yours!!

Don

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

The 18th has officially come and gone. Thanks for all the participation. All of you have definitely helped the site. Hopefully we can keep this up without the pressure of a prize.

Also big kudos to all of you for keeping the quality at a high standard in addition t the quantity. It really speaks volumes for the value of this Community.

I’ll be in touch with the winners soon to get your contact info. Or if you know you’re in the Top 20, then feel free to PM me your full contact info for shipping the IronKeys.

Looking forward,
      Don

UNIX
      Participant

Great, thanks again for this free giveaway. 🙂

ethicalhack3r
      Participant

Who won?

Clay Briggs
      Participant

If I understand the way the giveaway was decided, you should be able to find out by simply clicking “members” and then aggregating the list by the “posts” column. 

Don Donzal
      Keymaster

You are correct, sir.

If you haven’t contacted me already, I will be sending PMs soon.

Thanks for being patient,
      Don

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?