Anyone know anything about locks ?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  SaltineHacker 4 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
     Jamie.R 
    Participant

Hi All,

Does anyone know any good locks I am looking for a small bag lock but want it to be as secure as possible.

Recommendation

m0wgli 
    Participant

Whilst you may get a really secure lock, how secure is the bag otherwise? If you can break the zip or put a knife through the bag the lock isn’t going to help much if someone really wants to get in the bag.

rance 
    Participant

kinda what m0wgli said. if you want to really secure stuff, use a hard case, and get like an abus padlock or something (be prepared to pay).

Triban 
    Participant

Also really secure looking bag and lock could equal really nice things inside, take the bag and worry about getting in when you are in a safe place.  😀

Jamie.R 
    Participant

Thanks for the info guys 🙂

rattis 
    Participant

@rance wrote:

kinda what m0wgli said. if you want to really secure stuff, use a hard case, and get like an abus padlock or something (be prepared to pay).

Down side to ABUS, pain to open without the key, unless you have bolt cutters. Friend used 2 going to defcon, and they were cut off by the TSA. At least they left the guns in the case alone.

rance 
    Participant

@chrisj wrote:

@rance wrote:

Down side to ABUS, pain to open without the key, unless you have bolt cutters. Friend used 2 going to defcon, and they were cut off by the TSA. At least they left the guns in the case alone.

TSA. *grumble*

MaXe 
    Participant

Heh it takes me roughly 1 minute or less to open the very small ABUS padlocks with lockpicking, and 2-5 minutes for the “Master” (brand) padlocks that costs around 20$

Those locks are generally not going to keep you secure, not even those that are “hardened” and fire proof, because most of them are barely protected against lockpicking.

Triban 
    Participant

Keeps honest men honest.  Just like the laptop security cables that you can just rip out of the laptop.  Unless it is secured to the bored so it renders the laptop useless if you brute force it 😀

rattis 
    Participant

Doh, down side to playing with as many locks as I do. I said ABUS, was thinking Abloy. They were $80.00 abloy locks that got cut off. anyway if you get the right ABUS, they’ll be disk locks too. HArder to open.

AS for the master locks, I think they’re starting to make them better.. Locks I bought 2 years ago, I can get in, in under 10 seconds. Stuff I bought last year, takes me about 1 minute. Locks I bought for Maker Faire Detroit’s Lock Pick Village this year, 3 to 5 minutes each.

rance 
    Participant

@chrisj wrote:

Doh, down side to playing with as many locks as I do. I said ABUS, was thinking Abloy. They were $80.00 abloy locks that got cut off. anyway if you get the right ABUS, they’ll be disk locks too. HArder to open.

AS for the master locks, I think they’re starting to make them better.. Locks I bought 2 years ago, I can get in, in under 10 seconds. Stuff I bought last year, takes me about 1 minute. Locks I bought for Maker Faire Detroit’s Lock Pick Village this year, 3 to 5 minutes each.

Funny, I meant Abloy as well.  Padlocks… they’re my kryptonite.  For some reason, I think the spring just screws with my tension technique too much. I can only pick through about a third of my padlock collection. *pout*

Jamie.R 
    Participant

So we saying ABUS are the best lock to get but they come at a price

rattis 
    Participant

@Jamie.R wrote:

So we saying ABUS are the best lock to get but they come at a price

No Abloy. you can get them from security snobs, they can even set up master key systems for you. so you can have one key that opens all your locks, and sub keys that only open some sets.

DataDwarf 
    Participant

Just a note if you are traveling by air in the USA the TSA only allows you to use certain approved locks;

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/locks.shtm

m0wgli 
    Participant

@datadwarf wrote:

Just a note if you are traveling by air in the USA the TSA only allows you to use certain approved locks;

After the post by chrisj about his friend having his padlocks cut by the TSA, my initial thought was WTF. However, some quick research into the TSA revealed that this is common practice.

I also came across the information about approved locks you posted. Whilst looking into this further, I was surprised about the number of people complaining about using TSA approved locks and still having them cut.

Jamie.R 
    Participant

I know when I travel to the USA before and had my bag search they put like a card inside to say it was searched. If they have master key just open it do they still put the card in?

I don’t mind people searching my bags it just fact that I want to know that other people cant open my bags and put stuff in or take stuff out. I would assume that all TSA staff go thought some sort background checks too.

m0wgli 
    Participant

@Jamie.R wrote:

I would assume that all TSA staff go thought some sort background checks too.

When conducting a background check, it would appear to be worth while waiting for the result before employing someone:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/26/tsa-agents-background-checks_n_1456849.html

Congresswoman: TSA Hiring Pedophiles To Conduct Pat Downs

rattis 
    Participant

@m0wgli wrote:

@datadwarf wrote:

After the post by chrisj about his friend having his padlocks cut by the TSA, my initial thought was WTF. However, some quick research into the TSA revealed that this is common practice.

I also came across the information about approved locks you posted. Whilst looking into this further, I was surprised about the number of people complaining about using TSA approved locks and still having them cut.

So if you have fire arms, what happened to my friend, you shouldn’t have TSA approved locks. Because the “keys” for them are everywhere. Supposedly it’s only the supervisors that have the keys. However they can’t stop the line long enough to get the person, and the bolt cutters are right there…  At leas that was the result of what I found out when I looked in to it.

SaltineHacker 
    Participant

I have been picking locks since I was 5 so I have extensive knowledge, but in this case the lock is irrelevent, if the bag has a zipper, Check out this vid on youtube to see why… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpIJVWXsBBI

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2019 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?