Anyone doing PWB / preparing for the OSCP exam?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      zeroflaw
      Participant

Hey guys.

I’m wondering if anyone is currently doing the PWB course. I’m frequently on the Offsec IRC channel. So maybe we can share experiences there and learn from each other.

I bought the 15 days of lab time, and I have like 7 days left. I must say its going a lot better than the first time. I’m like hacking 3 or 4 machines each day. Starting to feel more ready for the OSCP certification retake  ;D Man, there really is no other place like the Offsec labs!

nicklauscombs
      Participant

i have some free time in life again and i bought another block of lab time. about halfway through my 30 days now and i definitely agree that taking some time between my first go through of the labs and this time has helped me focus and be a lot more successful.

if you want to chat more let me know i’m always lurking in the irc channel and on here.

UNIX
      Participant

I’m already done with it, but if you want to bounce ideas off, feel free to drop me a message. 😉

zeroflaw
      Participant

I never see any of you guys on IRC. Different nicks perhaps?

nicklauscombs
      Participant

@zeroflaw wrote:

yes my nick on there is nconco

dedspeyd
      Participant

Hey all,

I’ll be starting PWB this weekend or the next and I’m super pumped about it. I’m going to go for 60 days of lab time and really try to nail the test at the end before my next term of classes starts. I’ll keep an eye out for everyone on the IRC and be on the forums here frequently I’m sure.

Any advice you can give before I start out or help along the way is greatly appreciated!

P.S. this is my first pentesting course and attempt at any sort of certification…. wish me luck!

zeroflaw
      Participant

@nicklauscombs wrote:

@zeroflaw wrote:

yes my nick on there is nconco

Ahh one of those true lurkers? lol

@dedspeyd wrote:

Hey all,

I’ll be starting PWB this weekend or the next and I’m super pumped about it. I’m going to go for 60 days of lab time and really try to nail the test at the end before my next term of classes starts. I’ll keep an eye out for everyone on the IRC and be on the forums here frequently I’m sure.

Any advice you can give before I start out or help along the way is greatly appreciated!

P.S. this is my first pentesting course and attempt at any sort of certification…. wish me luck!

Just install backtrack and take a look at some of the enumeration tools for SNMP, SMB and SMTP. Maybe get familiar with a little bit of bash and python scripting. Though, most will be explained during the course. I should be on IRC most of the time. Good luck!

shadowzero
      Participant

@dedspeyd wrote:

Hey all,

Good luck! Tip: Take breaks. Staring at the screen for 3 hours in despair won’t help. An hour break will give your brain a chance to rest and you’ll have a few moments where the answer will just click

Phillip Wylie
      Participant

I’m taking the PWB course. I need to “try harder” to finish the course. I started in April with 90 days lab time and I have been extended my lab time each month. On a positive note, I am a pen tester and started in March and the experience is helping with the PWB course, especially report writing. Prior to my pen testing job, I worked as an application security analyst. My experience prior to becoming a pen tester was vulnerability scanning and didn’t have any hacking experience outside of some courses I have taken over the years. I will probably have to extend my lab time once more, but it will be the last.

jjwinter
      Participant

I hope to take this soon. Considering how I am going to fund PWB. I know its not that much compared to many other courses, but $1100 is a lot for me.

Once I start, I’ll offer the newbie perspective, if anyone is interested.

SephStorm
      Participant

My nick is sAsK see you guys soon. 🙂

Eleven
      Participant

How hard is it to pivot in the exam?  Do you have to exploit vulnerabilities, or can you pivot with meterpreter by stealing tokens, passing the hash, getting service accounts, etc?

KrisTeason
      Participant

OffSec students are not allowed to divulge any information regarding the examination. The best thing you can do in preparation is to make use of the student labs. They also recommend doing the Extra Mile Challenges.

superkojiman
      Participant

Additionally, there are reviews scattered around the net that give you an idea of what to expect and how to prepare. Just cover all the bases and you’ll be fine. If you’re weak in one thing that’s been covered in the course, don’t take the exam until you’re comfortable in it. You never know what they might throw at you.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?