Any update from OSCP

This topic contains 20 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  hanyhasan 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
     impelse 
    Participant

Guys

I got the idea after Kali was released I thought Offensive Security would release an update or their training, I did not see anything yet.

dynamik 
    Participant

They are currently working on an update for Kali. I believe it will be the next training release they make.

El33tsamurai 
    Participant

Hello,

I was going to post this morning about the OSCP, contacted them yesterday and got this:

Dear El33tsamurai (edited :-D)

Thank you for contacting us.

Unfortunately, we do not have a release date for the upgrade from BT to Kali. We estimate that it will be completed before the end of 2013, but there is no guarantee.

Any updates will be posted in our blog at http://www.offensive-security.com/blog/, so stay tuned!

Keep us updated if you require additional information.

Sincerely,

The Offensive Security Team
    http://www.offensive-security.com

Darktaurus 
    Participant

I cannot wait for them to make the online training available for AWE and AWAE. Any review Dynamik for AWE?

dynamik 
    Participant

@darktaurus wrote:

I cannot wait for them to make the online training available for AWE and AWAE. Any review Dynamik for AWE?

I’m pretty sure they’ve said AWE will never be online due to its difficulty, which is why I personally ponied up the cash to take it Black Hat. Having taken the course, I fully agree with this sentiment 😮 AWAE is just a resource-constraint issue and will hopefully be available not too long after the PWK update *fingers crossed*. They said it’s definitely in the pipeline.

I wanted to do a review after I took the exam. I’m in the middle of buying a house and moving, amidst an already insane schedule, so that might be awhile (hopefully by the end of the year though). I have IDA, kernel exploitation, and reversing books I need to go through first as well.

You know how with the animated cursor vulnerability in CTP, the freaking stars had to align for that to work out? Well, they basically filled this course with scenarios like that. Except that they aren’t nearly as straight forward, and you’re having to use IDA to reverse engineer the executable, follow open source code in a debugger, and do Windows kernel debugging using two Windows VMs in a debugger/debuggee configuration through a virtual serial interface. Oh, and then the course picked up the pace for x64 Kernel driver exploitation. Anytime I felt like I was getting back into familiar territory, all these weird circumstances came out of nowhere and shot the difficulty off the chart.

Darktaurus 
    Participant

That is pretty depressing about the AWE course. I guess I will have to find the loot somewhere for BlackHat. The difficulty levels must be insane. I was trying to figure out a crash that happened on one of my servers from a Windows dump. And it was mentioned online in order to really debug the issue with WinDBG, you would need two VMs with a “virtual” serial connection. It would be cool to have them explain that.

Yeah, I have my fingers cross too for the AWAE course. That would be awesome. I look forward to your review when you get the chance. Good luck on the house move.

jrdoty 
    Participant

I’m looking at the current syllabus. How different could it really be? Besides module 1: Backtrack basics and tools/scripts being in different locations.

Or do they plan to update some of the actual content/techniques? I ask because I play to take PWB around October or so. Should I hold off until I hear something?

El33tsamurai 
    Participant

Why pay for old when you can get new 😀

m0wgli 
    Participant

@jrdoty wrote:

I’m looking at the current syllabus. How different could it really be? Besides module 1: Backtrack basics and tools/scripts being in different locations.

Or do they plan to update some of the actual content/techniques? I ask because I play to take PWB around October or so. Should I hold off until I hear something?

Until more information is available:

From OffSec:

How does this affect the Offensive Security courses? Surprisingly enough, with all the new changes we have made in Kali, the user experience remains pretty much the same. Our students should feel little difference between Kali and BackTrack. As usual, with our course upgrades, all alumni will be able to upgrade their course materials for a reduced fee. Students who have enrolled in PWB since the 1st of Jan, 2013 will get an additional discount on the upgrade fee – once a new version of PWB is available, in the next 6 months. Our lab environment will not be changing due to the new BackTrack version. Be patient, we will release more information about Kali once it’s ready…soon.

jrdoty 
    Participant

Sounds like there will be an update to me.

Black Hat West Coast in December

Pentesting with Kali

https://blackhat.com/wc-13/training/Pentesting-with-Kali-Linux.html

“Premiering for the first time the entirely new “Penetesting with Kali Linux”. This course has been entirely re-written from the ground up to reflect the most modern and effective techniques that all penetration testers need to know. This is an intensive, hands-on security class by Offensive Security, the creators of Kali.”

YuckTheFankees 
    Participant

Nice find!

Master Of Puppets 
    Participant

Seems like the content will be updated too. Nice find indeed! Can’t wait to see what it will be like.

m0wgli 
    Participant
     dynamik 
    Participant

Yea, the excerpt posted earlier seems to be copy/paste from the Vegas Black Hat session, where it was taught for the first time. The blog is correct in stating Seattle will be the second. I don’t think this means anything one way or another for a release of an online update.

m0wgli 
    Participant
     st3r30byt3 
    Participant

Awesome! Can’t wait to start this one! ;D

Pingutzu 
    Participant

I’m preparing the $$$

caissyd 
    Participant

Penetration Testing with Kali Linux will be available for purchase starting on 05 January, 2014. Offensive Security students and alumni will be receiving an email from us within the next week with information regarding discounted upgrades.

I wonder how much the upgrade will be for those who already have PWB version 3.

Also, I initially purchased PWB version 2 than upgraded to version 3. Although they have made many little improvements here and there, it wasn’t a complete re-write (obviously). So I wonder what would actually be different in this new version of the course, other than the Backtrack vs Kali differences…

Master Of Puppets 
    Participant

I’m wondering the same thing. It really will be interesting to see what they changed in comparison with PWB 3.0. Looking forward to it!

superkojiman 
    Participant

@caissyd wrote:

Penetration Testing with Kali Linux will be available for purchase starting on 05 January, 2014. Offensive Security students and alumni will be receiving an email from us within the next week with information regarding discounted upgrades.

I wonder how much the upgrade will be for those who already have PWB version 3.

Also, I initially purchased PWB version 2 than upgraded to version 3. Although they have made many little improvements here and there, it wasn’t a complete re-write (obviously). So I wonder what would actually be different in this new version of the course, other than the Backtrack vs Kali differences…

You should have received an email with information about the upgrade. Depending on when you took it, you’re eligible to upgrade at a discounted rate. Also, the Offsec Student forums have a bit more information about what’s new in the upgrade.

hanyhasan 
    Participant

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2019 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?