Advice from Microsoft

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      RoleReversal
      Participant

I think I’m confused. just received this advice in an email from Mircosoft:

IMPORTANT:  Because fraudulent (“phishing”) e-mail often uses misleading links, Microsoft recommends that you do not click links in e-mail, but instead copy and paste them into your browsers, as described above.

How does moving from a culture of blindly clicking on links to blindly cut&pasting said links help protect against phishing??? Oh, and the ‘as described above? is a long and confusing URL….

Please help, my head hurts….

BillV
      Participant

Haha… nice…

I would guess they’re thinking is that a lot of links are typically similar to “hey, come over to http://www.ebay.com and give us your login!”

Michael J. Conway
      Participant

I think you are right there Bill. That may very well be the thought process behind it. Though, wouldn’t it make more sense to not go there in the first place? Good defense is always trumped by dumb user.

mad_irish
      Participant

What’s even scarier is that tactic fails to prevent many common phishing tactics.  For instance, using a domain name that looks like the target in specific fonts (substituting 1’s for lower case L’s for instance) or misspelled domain names.  Not to mention that if a link spans multiple lines and it’s sometimes tough for users to cut and paste the whole thing.  Microsoft needs to do their security reading (http://people.seas.harvard.edu/~rachna/papers/why_phishing_works.pdf) first before issuing statements like this 🙁

BillV
      Participant

@sgt_mjc wrote:

Though, wouldn’t it make more sense to not go there in the first place?

Exactly what makes this “advice” funny 🙂

RR – can you forward that email over to me?

dalepearson
      Participant

I am sure it will all be fixed once IE8 goes gold 😀

RoleReversal
      Participant

@BillV wrote:

RR – can you forward that email over to me?

check your inbox 🙂

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2020 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?