64 bit Linux and hacking tools

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      tturner
      Participant

I’m debating a reinstall to 64 bit linux on a beefy new laptop and was hoping someone else had made the jump and had experiences to share with regard to existing tools and compatibility with 64 bit. Are most folks just using a 32 bit VM to use the non-compatible tools or filtering out options based on the architecture?

Btw, this is what I’m getting ready to buy

http://www.maingear.com/custom/notebooks/exl-15/index.php

hayabusa
      Participant

I personally use a 64-bit host, but run 32-bit guests.  I find it simpler, after a test, to wipe a VM and restore clean, and I’ll occasionally update tools in my VM master images to test, snapshot etc.  Just find it makes life easier, and removes most of the compatibility issues.

TheXero
      Participant

BackTrack 5 is supposed to be released in 32bit and 64bit versions.

I use Ubuntu 64bit for my host OS and 32bit for all VM’s except Windows as I didn’t buy a 32bit version as it used to be the host OS

timmedin
      Participant

I use Ubuntu x64 and have no problems Pen Testing from it. If I did, I’d fire up a VM.

R3B005t
      Participant

My config is MacBook Pro with 8gb of ram and the following Vm’s Backtrack 4 64 bit, win 7 64bit, xp 32 bit x3.  I can wait for backtrack 5 to come out 🙂

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright ©2021 Caendra, Inc.

Contact Us

Thoughts, suggestions, issues? Send us an email, and we'll get back to you.

Sending

Sign in with Caendra

Forgot password?Sign up

Forgot your details?