The Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST) is a global non-profit organization dedicated to bringing together computer security incident response teams (CSIRTs) and includes response teams from over 240 corporations, government bodies, universities and other institutions spread across the Americas, Asia, Europe and Oceania. The annual FIRST conference provides a setting for conference participants to attend a wide range of presentations delivered by leading experts in both the CSIRT field and from the global security community. The conference also creates opportunities for networking, collaboration, and sharing technical information and management practices. The conference enables attendees to meet their peers and build confidential relationships across corporate disciplines and geographical boundaries. FIRST conference participants include not only CSIRT staff, but also IT managers, network and system administrators, software and hardware vendors, law enforcement representatives, security solutions providers, telecommunications organizations, ISPs, and general computer and network security personnel. The FIRST Annual Conference covers a broad range of security related topics such as (but not limited to):
- Advanced techniques in security incident prevention, detection and response
- Latest advances in computer and network security tools
- Shared views, experiences, and resolutions in the computer security incident response field
The conference runs from Monday through Friday with registration starting at 14:00 on Sunday and includes a Sunday evening welcome reception to kick off the week. Each day begins with a keynote address and is followed by one or more invited speakers. The presentations that follow – Special Interest Groups (SIGs) and panel sessions are split into three tracks:
- Incident Response
Features planned for this year’s conference include:
- Specialist Tracks—increased focus on Incident Response, Management and Technical topics relevant to CSIRTs.
- Case Studies—lessons learned in dealing with real events, from discovery to remediation. Share practical experiences in dealing with cyber incidents along with the tools that provided most valuable.
- Special Interest Group (SIG) Meetings—providing a forum where FIRST members can discuss topics of common interest to the Incident Response community.
- Lightning Talks—Attendees are welcome to sign-up first-come, first-served and present to their peers in the main ballroom at scheduled times.
- Vendor Showcase—special Tuesday evening event showcasing FIRST vendors and attendees to network in a relaxed setting with beverages and appetizers.