- This event has passed.
August 7 - August 8Free
BSidesLV is a non-profit educational organization designed to advance the body of Information Security knowledge, by providing an annual, two day, open forum for discussion and debate for security engineers and their affiliates. We produce a conference that is a source of education, collaboration, and continued conversation for information technologists and those associated with this field. The technical and academic presentations at BSidesLV 2018 are given in the spirit of peer review and advanced knowledge dissemination. This allows the field of Information Security to grow in breadth and depth, and continue in its pursuit of highly advanced scientifically based knowledge.
BSidesLV is different, in that it’s free to attend. You don’t NEED to register, you just walk-in days of show and if we’re not at capacity, we’ll have a badge for you.
However, there are ways to GUARANTEE yourself a badge in advance of the walk-in lines.
BSides Las Vegas isn’t another “talk at you” conference. Everyone at BSides is a Participant.
Track after track, year after year, the security researchers, engineers, analysts and managers that present at BSidesLV are looking to engage our participants and be engaged by them.
They want your feedback, insights, opinions and questions on the latest InfoSec topics and discussions of the Next Big Thing.
Our presenters don’t talk at you, they converse with you.
Come join the conversation!
- Proving Ground – Mentorship and scholarship track for first time national speakers. Get paired with a great mentor, who will help you with your presentation from CFP to podium and receive up to $500 to help offset the costs of traveling to Vegas to present.
- Breaking Ground – Ground breaking information security research and conversations on the “next big thing”. Interactively discussing your research with our participants and getting feedback, input and opinion. No preaching from the podium at a passive audience.
- Common Ground – Other topics of interest to the security community. E.g., lock-picking, hardware hacking, mental health/burnout, law, privacy, regulations, risk, crypto, activism, etc. Again, interactive discussions with your peers and fellow researchers. Not passive lectures “at” an audience.
- Underground – OTR talks on subjects best discussed AFK. No press, no recording, no streaming, no names. Just you and your peers, discussing what matters, behind closed doors. Think about it.
- Ground Truth – Focused on innovative computer science and mathematics applied to security. Topics of interest include machine learning, natural language processing, big data technologies, cryptography, compression, data structures, zero knowledge proofs or just about anything academically publishable that usually baffles review committees for other conferences.
- I Am The Cavalry – Security that affects public safety and human life. Where our domain overlaps others, we must gather teammates and forge an alliance. Technical discussions cover medical devices, cars, and other connected technologies with a higher consequence of failure. Non-technical talks cover issues where security overlaps with the human condition, and building skills to influence change outside the echo chamber. See I Am The Cavalry or @iamthecavalry for more information.
- Ground1234! – Focused on the (in)security of passwords and other authentication solutions, bringing together security researchers, password crackers, and experts in password security from around the globe in order to better understand and address the challenges surrounding digital authentication. This track explores all facets of authentication security, from analysis and education to creating, securing, cracking, and exploiting authentication solutions.
- Training Ground – Consists of workshops and classes to give your students hands-on experience learning the latest and greatest. We accept proposals for 1/2 day, full-day and 2-day workshops.
- Hire Ground – Our 2-day career track focusing on resume review, career planning and tracking, interviewing tips and tricks and getting you directly in front of companies that are hiring. Find out what good recruiters are looking for and how to best work with them to further your career!
- Pros vs Joes CTF, sponsored by Maven Security and Wilmington University
- Lock Pick Village
- Open Hacking Village
- Silent Auction to benefit our charity partners
- Tuesday evening Volunteer Thank You Meetup
- Tuesday night Speaker, Sponsor, Donor Thank You Reception
- Pool party Wednesday night 2200 – 0400 – Don’t forget your swimsuit and conference badge!
A Global Movement
While BSides Las Vegas may be the original and largest Security BSides conference, it is only one of many in a global movement that aims to increase infosec awareness, provide low-to-no-cost education, initiate conversations, and foster community and collaboration.
With over 347 events, in 109 cities in 29 countries on 6 continents, there is likely a BSides conference in your own backyard!
To find out more about the Security BSides movement, or discover an event near you, visit the Security BSides wiki today and discover more ways for you to get involved with your community.Tags: 2018 bsides event us