Hard to believe that BH and DEFCON are only 2 months away. In gearing up for the annual trek to Sin City, here's a cool expose on the SE CtF. I'm sure this will generate some questions on your end. Please ask away as Chris would be happy to answer what he can.
Permanent link: [Article]-An Insider`s Look at the Social-Engineer.Org SE CtF at DEFCON
By Chris Hadnagy
I want you to picture this scene: It is a warm day in sunny Maryland, my phone rings. I answer it. Me
– “Chris speaking…” Voice
– “Hello Sir, this is Special Agent Smith (name changed) from the FBI, I would like to speak to you about this social engineering contest…” Me
– “Nice Dave, not falling for it. Good try sucker!” Voice
– “Sir, I already mentioned my name is Special Agent Smith, not Dave. It is important that we… Me
– “Blah, Blah Blah.. right Dave. You are always trying to get me. Nice one, almost sounds real. Later loser…”
Moments after the phone was hung up it rings again… Me
– “Hello?” Voice
– “I would ask that you listen sir and do not hang up. Call me back at this number… And ask for Special Agent Smith.”
This was the birth of the very first Social-Engineer.Org’s Social Engineering Capture the Flag Contest (SE CtF) at DEFCON
over 2 years ago.